cannot connect to the internet via a wired network

Bruz 13:13 12 Feb 06

I have two computers linked with a wired router sharing data and working fine but the client computer cannot access the internet, he keeps getting "cannot open page errors"
Any ideas?

mgmcc 15:37 12 Feb 06

If you are using a router, there is no "client" computer. Both get their internet access over the LAN from the router and have an equal status in the network. You should not have Internet Connection Sharing enabled on any connections.

What IP addresses do the two computers have?

Bruz 21:33 12 Feb 06

The IP addresses are 192-168-0-22 and 192-168-0-28. The modem IP address is 81-107-28-232.
The modem is connected via a USB port.

keewaa 11:15 13 Feb 06

Could you describe the physical setup of your network in detail, what make/model and how they are linked, and who is your ISP.

Bruz 11:50 13 Feb 06

Both computers are home built one is a AMD 1.4 runnuing on a Soltek SL-75KAV/-X with 1.5 mg Ram with a Realtek RTL8139 ethernet card and the other is a Sempron 3000 running on a Nforce3-A The onboard lan has been isolated and we are using Realtek RTL8139 ethernet card. Both pc's are running XP pro sp2. I use NTL braodband through a cable modem 351000. The router is a Net-lynx-sw808sx-c 8 port 10/100 ethernet switch. The modem links to my computer via the usb port the lan then goes to the router and from the router to the second computer.
They connect perfectly but the seconf computer for some reason cannot connect to the net through the ethernet connection.

mgmcc 12:30 13 Feb 06

There appears to be something far wrong with the way you have it set up. If one PC is connected by USB to the Cable Modem, it will have internet access. Connecting the two PCs to a "Router" is using it as a network switch, but one that is running a DHCP server to allocate IP addresses. This means that your local network may work, but the second computer cannot have internet access. At the moment, you cannot enable Internet Connection Sharing in the PC that is online, because it needs to act as the DHCP server.

The router (provided you have the correct type - a "Cable/DSL Router") should be connected by ethernet cable to the modem. Each PC then connects by ethernet cable to the router. There is no USB connection involved and there is no other connection between the PCs.

Bruz 14:59 13 Feb 06

Thank you both for your input, it looks like I will have to buy a router. I have just found out that the Net-Lynx is just a switch and not a router. The theory is that as long as the main computer is switched on and online the second computer can also get on line. It has worked for us but two weeks ago I had a total wipe out and had to re format drive C: and then reinstall every thing, since then we have only had the network link and no internet connection.

Bruz 19:04 13 Feb 06

Got a NTL cable router 20 minutes both computers were on the net and now the network is working as well, again thanks for all your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac