Cannot connect to Internet Linksys wireless router

Newuser4424 18:27 13 Jan 07

Hello experts,

I have a linksys modem and a separate wireless router. I currently have my PC with LAN card wired to the modem. I set this part up and everything is OK. I also have a laptop which I wanted to use wireless. However, when I connect the wireless router to the modem I lose my internet connection on the wired PC. My laptop detects the wireless router but I can't connect to the internet with that either. All I really need is internet access. My ISP is TalkTalk.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Strawballs 18:36 13 Jan 07

You need a combined Modem/router click here any of these will do. What is the model that you already have?

Newuser4424 18:53 13 Jan 07

Surely I can use the wireless router with a modem. I bought a linksys modem speifically for this??

Strawballs 19:09 13 Jan 07

What model is it?

Strawballs 19:13 13 Jan 07

click here any of these.

Strawballs 19:14 13 Jan 07

sorry already said that

Strawballs 19:17 13 Jan 07
  Newuser4424 19:23 13 Jan 07

The router is a Linksys Wireless-N Broadband Router WRT300N. The modem is a Linksys AM200
10/100 Ethernet ADSL Modem.

mgmcc 09:37 14 Jan 07

Normally, to use a separate ethernet ADSL modem with a stand-alone "Cable/DSL" router, the *modem* needs to be able to establish the connection to the ISP using PPPoA protocol, independently from the PC or Router. Stand alone routers support PPPoE (PPP over Ethernet) protocol but not the PPPoA (PPP over Asynchronous Transfer Mode) used with ADSL in the UK. This is why it is almost always necessary to use a *combined* Router & ADSL Modem, which is designed to use PPPoA. In the US the problem doesn't arise because their DSL does use PPPoE, hence the name Cable/DSL router, but in the UK it's a "Cable" router.

Newuser4424 00:12 27 Jan 07

Managed to fix this. Had to change the IP address of the router so that it was different from the ADSL modem. Also had to connect the modem and router using just ethernet ports on both and ignore the internet port. Basically totally ignore the Linksys setup guide.

FinallyWireless 15:33 03 Feb 07

This worked for me as well. I have been troubleshooting for nearly two months now and was about ready to give up. I am in U.S. on pppoe connection, authenticated by the netopia modem, and now plugged in via ethernet port of my linksys wrt54g router. Thank you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

Disney layout supervisor Rob Dressel on the challenges of visualising Moana

Siri vs Google Assistant