Cannot connect to internet

Quiet Life 17:18 29 Aug 09

I am endeavouring to sort a friends laptop on which it is not possible to connect to the internet.(the laptop has connected on my router without any problems before). I have it wired to my DG834G router and it connects to that OK. I thought that AVG might be stopping the connection so I uninstalled that and deleted various registry entries left behind but it was not that.
I thought IE7 might have gone wrong so I downloaded that again but that did not help.
I then downloaded the browser Meleon but that would not connect either. With "Are you sure domain address exists. Check Network connection &DNS server settings etc."
OE would not connect either.
Would be grateful for any feedback on this problem.
A desktop connected to the router accesses the internet normally.
Both machines show up in the router as being connected.

Quiet Life 17:25 29 Aug 09

Forget to mention both these machines are on XP

brundle 17:37 29 Aug 09

Forget any software changes until you establish at what point in the networking stack the laptop is stuck.

"I have it wired to my DG834G router and it connects to that OK." - in what regard? It recognises that a cable is plugged in and the link lights on the port/router flash? Does the laptop get an IP address?
Do you know the administration interface address for your Netgear (usually 192.168.0.1 or 1.1) - try to ping the address from the command line.

Quiet Life 18:55 29 Aug 09

Yes it is 192.168.0.1 the laptop comes out as
192.168.0.2 and the desktop as 192.168.0.3

I believe the problem lies with the laptop. The router works and connects to the internet and the laptop connects to the router.
My wife has just come on wirelessly on another laptop and this laptop can access her documents as we have a home network. There is considerable activity on the packets send and received.
Access to the internet by the problem laptop always fails. There is however no problem in accessing the internet on either wired or wireless connections.

brundle 15:08 30 Aug 09

What happens if you ping an external site using the laptop, first with an IP address then its domain name.
For example

ping 212.58.224.138

then

ping bbc.co.uk

Quiet Life 15:44 30 Aug 09

No nothing to the internet works. Had not realised it was such a big problem but have now explored all avenues. Ran MS Fixit 50203 without success and then WinsockXPFix but again no luck.
Have had to bite the bullet and started to reinstal.
A real pain as the operating system in Dutch which could be double Dutch as far as I am concerned. Such is life!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…