Cannot 'Change' or 'Remove' program

Bapou 22:48 10 Jun 03

Windows XP- novice user.

In Add/Remove I wish to 'Change' a program,A box appears, 'Install Wizard Shield preparing Setup'.
A line of blue boxes flash along stopping one short,and freezes. I escape via Task Manager return and try 'Remove', same again, freezes.

Testing other programs in Add/Remove procedure appears ok. Checking the Program folder there is no Uninstall feature as an option.

All help appreciated.

hugh-265156 23:31 10 Jun 03

whats the program you are trying to uninstall?

it could be the program is running and cant be uninstalled or other programs are interfering with the uninstall process.

you can always remove it manually but i would try removing it in safe mode first,were there will be a minimum of processes running.

to get into safe mode,restart the computer and watch the screen(you need to be quick)

tap F8 when you see the prompt at the bottom,it will take a moment or two and things may appear to be slower than normal in safe mode,dont worry about this.

go to add remove and try now.

hugh-265156 23:32 10 Jun 03

to exit safe mode,just restart the computer again and windows will boot normally again.

Bapou 23:50 10 Jun 03

Thank you for responding, I finally resolved it by using Windows Explorer and doing a reinstall accessing the CDRom. I haven't a clue why and how but Add/Remove now works for the program.

Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…