cannot bootup windows - help!!

Currantbun 09:33 06 Nov 08

Hey guys!

Windows root system32/hal.dll. This is what it is telling me is missing or corrupt. I've seen this same problem on other postings but I have a couple of other problems;
1. I don't have a window xp disc, although I do have a validation code.
2. I don't have any recovery discs, but I can press f5 to do this from the hard disc - the problem here is that it says I will lose all data on the disc I haven't backed up, but I do have an iPhone (which I'm writing this from) that at least has all my music, pictures and videos on.

Any ideas?? I'm pretty desperate...

isca2 10:07 06 Nov 08

Not sure if this will help if you can get into the pc at all.
click here

Currantbun 15:48 06 Nov 08

Thanks Nuts

Unfortunately I cannot boot up windows so this is no good for me.

Currantbun 16:21 06 Nov 08

Think I've resigned myself to having to do a PC recovery (F11 at startup). Before I click ok it says that all files, including data files, on the user partition will be lost and the original factory-shipped files will be recovered from the user partition. I guess this pretty much says everything will be lost my PC will be like it was when I took it outta the box.

isca2 16:46 06 Nov 08

You are correct in your assumption. Once you are back to "normal" you might consider attaching an external USB drive for backup purposes so you do not lose data if this sort of thing happens again. Are you sure you can't get into safe mode before taking drastic action ?

Currantbun 17:04 06 Nov 08

When I try to boot up in safe mode it goes back to the hal.dll error.

Will an external hard drive back up things like bookmarks, anti-virus and iTunes??

Pamy 18:51 06 Nov 08

"Will an external hard drive back up things like bookmarks, anti-virus and iTunes??"

the drive will not ,but an imaging/backup program will

birdface 12:10 07 Nov 08

Borrow an XP disc And maybe do a repair instead.You will need someone else to give you the proper instructions.

Currantbun 13:07 07 Nov 08

Ive done a PC recovery. Luckily most of my pictures, videos and songs were on my iPhone and now I've managed to get the PC back to almost how it was. Foxmarks syncronized my bookmarks and mobile me syncronized my calendar and contacts.

So is the next step to get an external hard drive and this ghost software? Any advice/ recommendations??

isca2 13:27 07 Nov 08

Acronis True Image for all backup & recovery.
click here
You may find it cheaper on say, Amazon.

lotvic 11:41 09 Nov 08

Free Acronis True Image for Maxtor And Seagate HD owners
MaxBlast 5 click here
DiscWizard click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced