Cannot boot into XP

m800afc 03:40 AM 18 May 11

Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. M2N-MX Rev 1.xx

BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 0404 11/24/2006

XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 (build 2600)

This is a merged version of the original post and a new one

Original post

I have been given the above computer. There is no sound at all. There is no sound card, but there is sound on the mother board. Some applications report that there is no sound and they continue without sound. WMP and media monkey do not play music, but otherwise seem to work normally. The device manager reports that the sound device is working normally. Is there a way to get the sound back?

It wassugested that I try this link: http://www.softwaretipsandtricks.com/forum/windows-xp/21717-full-install-xp-now-no-sound-11.html

New post

All was going well until I tried to install the audio drivers. Part way through installation the BSOD appeared, then disappeared almost immediately leaving a blank screen. The computer will not boot into windows at all. On restart I get as far as POST, then again I get a blank screen and nothing else. I also tried to boot into safe mode, but no matter which option I choose, I just get the blank screen again.

How can I resolve this?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:17 AM 18 May 11

Just retry the Clean install of XP

m800afc 16:38 PM 18 May 11

I have tried to do a clean install from my XP disc, but the disc will not start. I get the blank screen again. The same happens when I try to do a clean install of vista. I changed the boot device to cd rom but this makes no difference.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:26 PM 18 May 11

Disable all boot devices except the CD drive save and exit (F10) retry booting from the CD look for the "press any key to boot from CD.."

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

OS X Yosemite vs Windows 10: The Mac and PC operating systems go head to head UPDATED