Cannot boot into windows

woodt 17:25 19 Jun 04

Hi all,

My desktop PC (a Packard Bell aur@ [dont ask]) has finally thrown a wobbly after 4 years good service. It will not boot into Windows (XP Pro SP1 and all updates) it gets as far as the Windows screen with the blue progress bar and then the screen goes blank (black) the HDD runs down and the system reboots, this would go on forever if I did not turn the power off.

Any ideas

VoG II 17:27 19 Jun 04
  Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:31 19 Jun 04

This sounds like a windows driver problem.

Press F8 while booting and see if it will go into safe mode.

In safe mode, if you have a XP disc put it in the drive (if not windows will find on your hard drive)

click run type sfc/scannow press enter and windows show replace any corrupt files

Night Ryder 19:56 19 Jun 04

Do as "Fruit Bat /\0/\" suggested and if the system boots in safe mode click on start then select run. In this box type "Command" to open a DOS window. In the dos window type "SFC/Scannow".
This will check the validity of all the windows system files and allow you the option of replacing any damaged ones.

woodt 21:30 19 Jun 04

Thanks guys for the suggestions all of which I have tried. The PC will not boot at all even into Safe Mode. Guess a full reinstall is required. My fault that the last back up is 6 mnths old! Doh.

woodt 11:45 24 Jun 04

Reinstalled windows over the old installation. Found my old documents in the Documents and Settings folder and copied to new My Docs Folder. But cannot read old OE files. Is there a program out there for viewing DBX files or a way of reinstating the to OE?

woodt 11:52 24 Jun 04

OK, I have sorted it out now. Used the 'Import Messages' wizard in OE. Not immediately obvious how to do it at first. Chose import from OE 6 then browsed to where the old messages were stored. Easy really (but only if you know how).

woodt 21:55 26 Jun 04

Just an up date which may help somebody else.

Found this excellent article on fixing windows XP

[urlclick here[/url]

woodt 22:18 26 Jun 04

It's probably worth a look here first

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…