Cannot boot from my CD Drive

toogie 20:22 14 Jul 10

I have been trying for weeks to resolve Windows XP problems and in the end have decided to try the XP Repair function. However, I cannot get my PC to boot from my recovery CD even when I set the BIOS to 1st, 2nd and 3rd boot from the CD Drive. It insists on starting up windows rather than giving the option of the "blue screen" Setup.Why ?

MAT ALAN 20:26 14 Jul 10

Is the disc in the drive BOOTABLE (full version)

toogie 16:27 15 Jul 10

Good news and bad...I have managed to boot from the CD and repaired windows. I then updated for Windows SP2. So far so good, but when I try to download SP3 I cannot. I am using Firefox browser so tried downloading IE8, thinking that this would be an easier route. No joy as this will not download (possibly because I have not got all the MS updates?) I am also unable to accesss MS Office (error This patch package could not be opened) I feel that I am in a never ending circle!!!!!!!!!

rdave13 17:06 15 Jul 10

Have you tried a reboot after installing SP2?

toogie 13:54 16 Jul 10

Yes, very very slowly things are improving! Office now works and when I start my internet connection (Homecall) directly after booting, it works and opens Firefox automatically with ZA Extreme Security. However......when the connection is disconnected and I attempt to go back on line, without rebooting, my Homecall shortcut does not work (error 0721) and I have to go to Control Panel,Network Connections to connect from there. I also have to get my browser up via ZA. Any ideas to correct this?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now