Cannot Boot from CD to install XP

geoff47 19:13 PM 13 Mar 12

I have been given a PC to fix. I was told it had a virus and that nothing was worth saving. I said I would wipe the drive and re-install Win XP I used DBan autonuked easy as pie. Then put the XP CD into the drive and rebooted to re-install. Nothing happened, it was waiting for "Multibay Device" I tried to alter the boot sequence but it seems I can't. Its a second hand Hewlett Packard Compaq that has all the right stickers on it saying it had XP on it before.

Any advice ?

onthelimit1 19:42 PM 13 Mar 12

Why can't you change the boot sequence? Can you get into the BIOS? If you can, don't forget F10 to exit and save.

geoff47 19:58 PM 13 Mar 12

I have booted into The ultimate boot disk and into an old CD copy of Mandriva just to test the boot sequence. When using the XP CD it just hangs at the prompt 'Waiting for multibay device'

I think I am giving it enough time, it goes directly to Mandriva or the Boot disk, but not to XP.

robin_x 20:19 PM 13 Mar 12

You can install from USB flash if the PC allows.

I haven't tried the W7 tool with XP, but it's quick to find out.

Try Win2Flash if problems.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:22 PM 13 Mar 12

MultiBay is hidden in Computer Setup.

Enter Computer Setup and set MultiBay to Device Available in Security > Device Security.

Then retry booting with the XP CD

lotvic 20:38 PM 13 Mar 12

The XP CD you are using, is it a Retail, OEM or Recovery Disc burnt from HP Compaq

Restore Compaq and see also HP recovery "HP computers that ship with Microsoft Windows XP do not come with recovery CDs. Instead, they use a hidden space (partition) on the hard drive to store the recovery information. The use of a separate partition provides a convenient process that eliminates the use of recovery discs that may be lost or scratched. A system recovery from the hard drive may not be possible in some circumstances. Your computer may contain Recovery Disc Creation software"

geoff47 23:45 PM 13 Mar 12

Many thanks, I am not near the PC at the moment but will give some of your ideas a try tomorrow.

I can't see why other CDs will load when booting but not the XP. It is an original bought copy, although not the one for the PC, but that shouldn't matter.

Terry Brown 06:33 AM 14 Mar 12

It is an original bought copy, although not the one for the PC, but that shouldn't matter.

If that CD is an OEM- designed for that one machine only, it will not work (or load) on another computer. Only a Retail CD will work on any computer.

Terry

markd71 07:42 AM 14 Mar 12

Try the cd in another machine

geoff47 12:10 PM 14 Mar 12

It was an upgrade version bought I believe from Novatech, so I am assuming it should be OK ?

finerty 12:41 PM 14 Mar 12

isn't mandriva a linux operating system?

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus launch live: What to expect from Apple's 9 September 2015…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This installation lets you control a laser and sound show using your mind

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites