cannot boot from cd

sammyb36 20:45 03 Jan 08

hi guys......

still an ongoing problem with my daughters pc

i have now got hold of a windows xp pro cd

but wen i try and boot from the cd it just comes back saying press f1 to try again....

i have changed all the settings to boot from cd..

but still nothing...

i know the cd is ok as i have tried it on this pc and it works.

please any help

many thanks

sam

MAJ 21:02 03 Jan 08

I imagine you're trying to format the drive and install XP from the disk you mention, sammyb36?

It can also be done with a floppy disk, if your daughter has a floppy drive installed. Boot from a Windows 98SE floppy click here and run set up from the A:> prompt.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:58 03 Jan 08

TRy cleaning the CD drive with a lens cleaner.

DieSse 22:50 03 Jan 08

Then try replacing the CD drive - assuming the cleaning doesn't work (it may, but in my experience it's more commonly a faulty drive.) You can temporarily use the working one from your other PC.

Booting and formatting from a Win98 floppy won't help you - it won't suddenly make the CD drive boot - and you'll have formatted to FAT32, which you really don't want.

MAJ 01:30 04 Jan 08

"Booting and formatting from a Win98 floppy won't help you - it won't suddenly make the CD drive boot - and you'll have formatted to FAT32, which you really don't want."

Sometimes it does indeed help, I've seen a few XP CDs that just wont boot, even when there's nothing wrong with the CD drive, but the installation will kick off when 'egged on' to do so from a floppy.
As for formatting to FAT32.... I didn't suggest that the format be done from the floppy, it can be done from the CD when/if the setup starts to run. In any case FAT32 can be converted to NTFS quite easily, although some purists say it's not the same, personally I've never noticed any difference in real life operation.

Eitherway, it's not that important, the drive is probably faulty.

birdface 09:56 04 Jan 08

Have you tried putting the Xp Pro cd in the computer when it is still switched on and then reboot with the disc still in it.

sammyb36 10:17 04 Jan 08

hi guys,

thanks for your replies.

when the pc is frozen i have gone on to task manager and located the cd and tried to run it from there. it tries to load the setup but then just freezes again.

now if i can locate the files on the cd, does this still mean that the cd drive is faulty, or is it ok?????

if i need to go down the floppy disk route, wot size disks do i need and how many???

many thanks

sam

birdface 11:15 04 Jan 08

Have you tried starting the computer in safe mode [just keep tapping F8 as computer starts.]And maybe last good configuration.

DieSse 11:52 04 Jan 08

"now if i can locate the files on the cd, does this still mean that the cd drive is faulty, or is it ok?????"

It can be faulty - CD drives either break completely, or they misread (which means it'll read OK some time, but not all the time.) Dirt or a fault can cause misreading.

Failure to boot from the CD (assuming you've got it set up to boot, and you're not doing anything wrong) means the CD can't be read correctly - or you've got a different serious problem with the system.

You can't start the process going from within Windows in any case.

DieSse 11:53 04 Jan 08

"when the pc is frozen"

You didn't mention originally that the PC freezes - can you explain further please.

sammyb36 10:12 05 Jan 08

hi again,

when i say it freezes, i mean.... the computer boots up to windows, i can then chhose which user to go on(i cant choose admin, as i do not know the password for it). the desktop background then appears, but then nothing else happens it just sits there like it has frozen......
this is where i can get into task manager and choose any programme from the hardrive or from the cd. but again nothing loads up...

is it worth spending a lot of money to get the thing looked at by a pro, or buy a new pc???

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5