cannot boot up

jomuir 00:18 31 Dec 05

My neighbour asked me to look at her monitor as she could not get it to work - however when I went round it is the pc that is not working -

emachine 2230

You press the one button and it lights up the fan kicks in and the dvd rw light flashes on and off, and then the hard drive light goes on for about one second and thenit all goes quiet and stops i.e. Off.

after checking cables etc and continually trying turning it on it did get to the "windows did not shut down, what do you want to do save mode or noraml boot etc" 25 seconds to decide.....before I can even select save model it is off again!!

Oh and just when I was leaving saying I do not know what the issue is the pc started the boot up without anyone pressing the on button - got to the same stage and turned off again!!

Anyone any ideas what is causing this? I am going to recommend a surge adaptor as I think this could be the last thing turning itself on by itself......but no idea about the main issue??

The pc has never been opened up and is the same build as new......warrenty ran out a month ago.....

Any ideas what could be causing this?

PC is a year an month old, running Windows XP home.

P.S. Cannot open the dvd player draw (tried continually pressing open through out the short boot up) - not sure if that would be in a suggestion

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 00:22 31 Dec 05

corrupt boot file on hard drive.

Repair XP by install over the top of existing systm

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

REpair XP
click here

Strawballs 00:31 31 Dec 05

A friend of mine has got an Emachine and it was doing exactly the same as you are saying and after trying everything that I could think of I was advised by members of this forum that it sounded like mainboard and when she had it replaced it worked fine

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…