Cannot aquire IP address

Hetti 16:02 03 Aug 09

Hi all

I have just reset laptop to factory settings all went ok, but when i tried to connect to internet on the laptop it just says "Aquiring IP address" but it never gets the IP address.

I have two other PCs which connect no problem.
My router is Dlink
Laptop in question runs win XP home IE 7

Batch 16:21 03 Aug 09

When you say you have "reset laptop to factory settings" what exactly do you mean? E.g. do you mean that you have used the supplier's recovery procedure or what?

In ability to acquire an IP address could be symptomatic of several things:

- Your firewall is blocking it (maybe your firewall isn't set up to allow the local net's range of IP addresses [presumably as controlled by your router] to pass through). Maybe coaysed by the "factory reset".

- If using a wireless connection to the lappie, is the router set up to only allow wireless connections from known MAC addresses [a MAC address is the globally unique ID of each network device] and is the lappie's wireless MAC known to the router.

- Has the lappie been set-up (since reset) with all the necessary information to access the network (e.g. for wireless this may include SSID, passkey, channel)

Hetti 16:42 03 Aug 09

Batch

Thanks for reply,

Yes I used the suppliers recovery procedure (acer aspire e-recovery)
My network was visable on the laptop so I entered encryption key it the went on to find IP address without sucess.
I have tried disabling firewall made no difference.

Not sure how I would do the last suggestion (set lappie to accept info) if you dont mind giving me that info I will follow instrucions.

Im sorry but i dont even know what the following means
"""
If using a wireless connection to the lappie, is the router set up to only allow wireless connections from known MAC addresses [a MAC address is the globally unique ID of each network device] and is the lappie's wireless MAC known to the router.""

beeuuem 16:48 03 Aug 09

You could try in IE > Tools > Connections tab > LAN button ensure that 'automatically detect settings' is checked.

brundle 17:02 03 Aug 09

The MAC address part doesn't apply, it will be the same as it was before.

Are you trying to connect using a cable, or wirelessly?

Hetti 17:12 03 Aug 09

beeuuem
Lan button was not ticked for auto detect, I clicked it but made no difference.

brundle
Im trying to connect wirelessly

brundle 17:14 03 Aug 09

Can you connect with a cable first to check if the problem occurs with both methods, or have you already done so? Does your laptop detect your wireless network and ask you for your passphrase before giving you the error?

brundle 17:19 03 Aug 09

Ignore the second question, you already said that.

Connect with a cable, if you can connect successfully, go to Windows Updates and download and install any updates - repeat this until there are no more updates reported. Then try connecting wirelessly. If that's no good, reconnect with a cable and go to the manufacturer's site for your laptop, get the latest drivers for your wireless hardware and install them. Then try wireless again.

Post back if you need any assistance identifying your wireless hardware make/model etc

woodchip 18:25 03 Aug 09

Go to0 Control Panel\Networking Setup a New Connection if your Router shows in the List click it the click connect, it may ask you for the Encryption key if you created one

Hetti 18:52 03 Aug 09

Thanks all

I dont have a cable to try that, sorry.

woodchip
router does not show in list, but I did prevously enter encryption key ect, and it was accepted.

The latest is I get a bubble notice at bottom of screen saying connected and i get onto internet, but it only lasts 2 mins then I get bubble sayin it is disconnected again.

woodchip 20:55 03 Aug 09

Right, I think I know your Problem. First does it stay connected if you are running on Mains? not just Battery. If it does. Go to Control Panel System\Hardware tab\Device Manager\Networking\ Double click it the first in the list of drop down's in Networking click it then Properties Click one of the Tabs cannot remember the one to click but you will see a white box that as a drop down, choose from the List Wireless connection or something like that, and stop power saving when running on battery

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant