Cannot always access internet.

Nigel-331402 13:43 01 Aug 06

The problem I have is that I can only access the internet every other time I boot the PC. When I first use the PC I get as far as "Verifying username and password" before the attempt times out and I get a redial dialog box. It doesn't matter how many times I try I get the same result.

However if I then restart the PC I can get access to the interne twith no problem.

The following day I'll have exactly the same problem.

I'm using Windows XP with all the latest patches installed. I've also got Norton Internet Suite 2006 running along with Windows Defender.

My internet connection is a 1Mb line (it can't cope with anything faster - at 2Mb it will drop the line after a few seconds).

I'm also using Firefox.

Any ideas ?

xania 16:05 01 Aug 06

This could be down to the order in which some drivers etc are being loaded. I suspect that your modem driver is being loaded while your modem is warming up and thus failing. By the time you reboot, your modem is ready for the drivers and hey presto. Try switching on your modem a couple of minutes before you start up Windows.

cofi 16:21 01 Aug 06

I have had a similar problem in the past and I also found that if I let everything warm up properly then I had a better chance of getting on the net.One way I found to get round the problem was to put the computer in to hibernate when finishing for the night.In this way I used to get on the net much easier next morning.I dare say that there is a better answer to your problem and someone on this forum may well come up with a solution.What I did was to use RegScrubXP and clean up everything I could including temporary files, old E.Mails etc,etc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced