Cannot add local fax to windows xp

Guy Fawkes 22:41 08 May 04

I have just purchased a Canon mp730 multifunction with fax and have connected it via my computer with windows xp. It shows the fax console is there but when I go to configure it via the wizard it displays the message "a connection to the fax server cannot be made".
Am I missing something?

Cesar 10:22 10 May 04

Go to control Panel click on Printers and Fax's and see if you have an Icon for faxes if not you will have to Install it from your windows disc.

Stuartli 11:00 10 May 04

If you have a modem installed, double click the Setup Faxing option in Printer Tasks in the Printer and Faxes folder and access the Fax Console (it's very similar in concept, as with previous Windows versions, as Outlook Express).

To use the Fax Wizard from the console click File + Send a New Fax or the toolbar's New Fax icon.

Enter the recipient's name in the To field and the fax number (more recipients for the same fax can be included with the Add button. Click Next).

From the Preparing a Cover Page window you'll find a Template drop-down menu where you can choose a cover page template; enter your subject line tex and note; click Next again.

Select where the fax should go from the Scheduling Transmission window and the priority level; click Next.

You can also choose if you wish to receive notification of the fax's delivery from the Delivery Notification window, along with e-mail confirmation; select and necessary and again click Next and Finish.

Because I only have dialup, I use the Fax Console to send faxes and Tiscali's free fax to e-mail service for replies; Tiscali takes a small proportion of the telephone cost met by the sender of the incoming fax(es) to make the service profitable.

You get your own dedicated 0871-xxx-xxx fax number which you insert on your fax cover page.

Guy Fawkes 21:46 10 May 04

Cesar...I do have an icon for the canon mp730 fax on the control panel (printers & faxes)
Stuartli....There is no Setup faxing option in printer tasks. When I go to the Fax console message at bottom reads " no fax printer installed"
I've hit a brick wall!

woodchip 21:53 10 May 04

check go to start\settings printers and see if it say's fax driver, if it does you just open your word processor and type the fax the click print and change the printer in properties to the fax printer a drop down where you see your normal printer

spuds 23:05 10 May 04

What internet connection are you using-BB or dial-up.

Stuartli 09:35 11 May 04

You will have to install the Fax Console this way then:

Open Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel. Click Add/Remove Windows Components.

In the Windows Components Wizard, select the Fax Services check box and then follow the instructions on the screen.

You can use an external fax machine if you wish; you'll find the Fax Console under Communications in Start>Programs>Accessories.

By the way you can't send faxes via broadband...

Guy Fawkes 19:24 14 May 04

Woodchip:- no fax driver found in printer settigs
Spuds:- I'm on A.O.L. dial-up
Stuartli:- all checked out ok...still get message " no fax printer installed"
Think I'll go on to Broadband and subscribe to a fax to e-mail service if I don't solve my problem soon!

woodchip 20:44 14 May 04

Get Supervoice that will load a Fax driver, or download from click here
What I use Cheyenne BitWare it's free

Stuartli 14:27 16 May 04

Do you have Fax listed in Printers and Faxes (from Start)?

If so, right click and view the Properties - the configuration may be required.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…