Cannot activate DMA in XP

Antz 21:46 01 Apr 03

I now have both my IDE channels full up, a hard disc on each channel and a dvd-rom and dvd-r/rw buner hooked up to the remaing two.I suppose i have two questions really, 1/ would it be recommended to have my second hard disc ( used for video editing) on a seperate channel to my dvd burner.2/ nero infotool informs me that dma on my second hard disc is off and I cannot find a way to switch it on. i have opened the properties on the ide channels in device manager but don't have the advanced tab that others have reffered to elsewhere on this forum.....incidentally dma is activated on the dvd burner which is on the same channel...........any suggestions

does anybody else think the help files in xp are a bit of a joke???

pc moron 23:06 01 Apr 03

It's better to keep your hard drives together as master and slave on say IDE channel 1 and your DVD-ROM and burner as master and slave on IDE channel 2.
It's also a good idea to configure your burner as master and cd-rom/dvd-rom as slave.

Set your hardware as described and then try DMA again.

WaTcHiNg 23:58 01 Apr 03

I do a lot of video editing and have a dedicated channel for my Video disk and a couple of SCSI disks thrown in for good measure :)

Antz 09:23 02 Apr 03

pc moron

will xp auto-detect the changes you recommend when I reboot or will i have to do some manual configuration afterwards.....I am not new to computing but this kind of re-configuring makes me a little nervous.

pc moron 23:29 02 Apr 03

Your BIOS seems to be auto-detecting your current setup- as long it detects the new arrangement, and I can't see why it shouldn't, WinXP will have no problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…