Cannot access some sites with Aol..

SB23 12:28 05 Sep 09

For the past week or so, I've been having trouble getting onto somes sites using my ISP (Aol).
It does vary as to which sites won't load, but the main one is this forum, which is also the only one that doesn't change, as it looks like its loading then all I get is a blank white screen.
Access through IE is fine, but I don't usually use IE as a norm, but its the only way I can post this question, and of course get onto my fav forum. Other than that my pc, (XP) is running ok.

Nothing's been changed, so why the problems, any ideas, or am I not alone?

Thanks

Steve

Stuartli 12:33 05 Sep 09

It could be that your MTU figure needs to be configured as 1432 (both TalkTalk and AOL require this). See:

click here

realist 14:11 05 Sep 09

No problems here with AOL save for some dead links from BBC News pages, an ongoing issue.

feb 14:40 05 Sep 09

The problem might not be with you, as other people have a similar problem with certain browsers click here

gengiscant 15:03 05 Sep 09

I was with AOL for years, generally speaking I had few problems with them, but one of them was your problem.
Now bear in mind I was very new to computing and did not realize that I could use another browser to surf the net, IE OR Firefox.So use one of these and you won't have the problem.
An even better way to go it to dump the AOL software altogether and just have the AOL page as you favorite or bookmark in the suggested browsers.

SB23 17:31 05 Sep 09

I've just come back onto Aol, and I'm not getting reply emails now either from PCA when I get an answer to the posting.

gengiscant 09:16 06 Sep 09

I posted about this problem,no email reports,here a couple of weeks ago.No solution I am afraid.

Stuartli 10:04 06 Sep 09

Further to your mention of "access being fine using IE", I've always understood that AOL's own browser has been based on Internet Explorer for some years, including the latest version.

However, I would respectfully suggest that the answer may still lie with your MTU configuration....

SB23 13:00 06 Sep 09

I assume that I would find the MTU configuration within the router settings?

Stuartli 13:06 06 Sep 09

Yes.

Alternatively, you can check what MTU is currently set by downloading and running TCPOptimiser:

click here

Note if it comes up with 1400 this would be OK (the 1432 suggested allows for overheads); AOL's original recommendation a while back was 1400 rather than 1432.

Stuartli 13:08 06 Sep 09

You can change the MTU using TCPOtimizer, but I would suspect it may not work because it would be best to change the router's configuration.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5