Cannot access Secure sites or Windows Update

Skinn 12:00 14 Dec 04

I cannot access either of the above. When I go to a secure site "This page cannot be displayed" comes up.
The only thing I can think of is that I had to restore my PC as it was operating in Safe Mode, the reason being the modem had gone. After failing to access secure sites ,I thought I may need to download updates for IE but when I went to do this the following text came up:

"Software Update Incomplete

The Windows Update software did not update successfully. Below are some suggestions to help you proceed:
You may have clicked No when prompted to accept the Trust Certificate. To allow the Windows Update site software to install, click Yes when presented with the Security Warning dialog box.
Your Internet Explorer security settings may be set too high. To install the updated software and access Windows Update, Internet Explorer security must be set to medium or lower, and active scripting and the download and initialization of ActiveX controls must be enabled.

Note These are the default settings for Internet Explorer. For more information about Internet Explorer security and instructions on how to change your security settings, read Microsoft Knowledge Base (KB) Article Q174360."

I then tried click here
and it would not even display - just a blank page.

I did not get a prompt aboout the Trust Certificate and the security settings are the default ones so this is a chicken and egg - I may need IE updates to access secure sites but I can't get them! Or could it be that other settings are wrong that I can change?

Please help!

Thanks in advance,

Skinn.

beeuuem 15:31 14 Dec 04

There are several suggestions click here

Skinn 16:41 14 Dec 04

Forgot to say - using W98SE. This seemed to be the answer click here

but it does not apply to W98.

Can anyone give me a simple solution to this problem?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…