Cannot Access Internet on LAN Computer

KrySTaL-KoDE 22:30 15 Mar 03

I have a laptop connected to my desktop. The desktop is directly connected to the Internet, while the laptop shares the connection with a crossover cable.

Suddenly, I can access my desktop's files through the LAN but not the Internet!! (That dreaded "This page cannot be displayed" pops up)This is strange, isn't it? I have made no changes to the configuration and it just happened spontaneously.

What can I do?????

eccomputers 23:16 15 Mar 03

in order to help, we really need to know what operating system is on both machines.

KrySTaL-KoDE 23:20 15 Mar 03

Sorry, I'm using XP home for both - they're both new computers

KrySTaL-KoDE 23:20 15 Mar 03

Sorry, I'm using XP home for both - they're both new computers

Legolas 23:22 15 Mar 03

I would start by checking that the XP firewall is disabled on both computers.

KrySTaL-KoDE 09:55 16 Mar 03

I just found out more about the problem.

You see, I used to use only XP's firewall on my main gateway computer, disabling it on the laptop that shares the connection. It worked perfectly fine that way, but when I installed ZoneAlarm, at first it did work fine, but after a few days the laptop could access the desktop's files but not share the connection! When I shut down ZoneAlarm, everything works fine.

I have to add the laptop's IP address to ZoneAlarm's Trusted Zone, right? But I don't know how to find the laptop's IP address!!

Eagie 10:39 16 Mar 03

I have no experience of ZoneAlarm so I am not sure how it will deal with that but when I set up my desktop-laptop connection using the wizard I had no problems sorting out internet access for both machines even with Norton Internet Security's firewall running on the Desktop.

Andy69 11:08 16 Mar 03

I have a similar set up but with a wireless connection. Norton Firewall requires you to add a trusted zone for other machines to access the main internet machine - I assume that ZoneAlarm requires similar.

The network setup wizard on the advanced tab of the internet conncection properties will run you through setting up the connection between the machines.

Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) in XP sets up a network on IP address 192.168.0.x - on the machine that connects to the network the IP is likely to be

On the laptop the last didgit is allocated by the main machine, to find out your IP address you can do this:

1. From Start select Run
2. Type cmd which will display the command prompt
3. Type ipconfig which should display the IP address of the laptop

In Norton Firewall I can specifiy an IP range and you should be able to do this in ZoneAlarm, the IP that your laptop gets will be dynamic, i.e. it will change each time the machine is turned on so just adding one IP address as trusted won't work.

Hope this helps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…