Cannot access internet on Home Network

the-george 22:10 26 Dec 04

I have just set up a peer-to-peer connection between 2 machines running ME.

The network has set up successfully i.e. I can access shared folders and printers in both machines, however, I cannot access the internet from both.
One machine is connected via an ntl cable modem and is fine. The other machine does not seem to connect even though i specified a LAN connec tion in the setup wizard and the setting in accounts are all identical to the ok machine.

What am I missing?

the-george 22:32 26 Dec 04

Anybody out there?

TECHNODIMWIT 23:00 26 Dec 04

I had to reset my 2 XP based units today.

always found it best to let the wizard sort itself out

LastChip 23:03 26 Dec 04

Have you got any firewalls running?

the-george 15:21 27 Dec 04

Use TEND PC-Cillin including personal firewall but had that turned off when I went through setup process.
I am able to share folders. drives etc but get 'server not found' message when trying to access internet for Pc not connected to ntl cabe broadband modem.

LastChip 17:41 27 Dec 04

Have you installed ICS on both machines?

What do you mean by "i specified a LAN connection"?

vinnyo123 17:44 27 Dec 04

are they connected with a cros over?
Are you using ICS ?

the-george 20:55 27 Dec 04

They are connected with crossover cable and I have no problems with sharing a drive of folder.
What is ICS, how do I install it?

LastChip 22:52 27 Dec 04

As Above.

You need to go to, Start; Settings; Control Panel; Add/Remove Programs; Windows Setup; Communications; Details; and make sure the Internet Connection Sharing box is ticked. If it's not, tick it and have your Windows Cd handy to follow the on screen instructions.

JIM 23:02 27 Dec 04

Workgroup name the same on both systems?

the-george 21:05 28 Dec 04

Workgroup name same - don't think I copuld see both pcs on network otherwise.
ICS is enabled - tick in box in Add/Remove/Win Setup/Communications etc on both pc's.
There is an icon on taskbar of pc connected to modem that is for ICS and when I open it up the details of connections to internet and network are both correct. However,it also says 1 computer is using the internet and there is no similar icon on taskbar of other pc. Is this indicativ of something?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…