Cannot access internet

thescoobster 16:42 20 Jul 07

Help for a novice with a wireless Belkin 54mbps Wireless ADSL 4 Port Modem Router with Free USB Adapter please.

I have set the wireless USB adaptor up using the disc provided and then plugged the router into the phone line using the adaptor provided. The wireless is picking up a strong signal from the router but will not access the internet.

I accessed the internet using a Speedtouch modem, but was having problems due to using an extension lead. Do I need to uninstall the modem before trying again?

Do I need to configure anything on the router to be able to access the internet? Total novice at this so apologies if I am being a numpty!

FreeCell 18:22 20 Jul 07

Yes you need to configure the settings for the router to give it the user name and password for your internet access.

Did the router come with a set-up disk or wizard? This should guide you through the router set-up. You can do it directly by typing in the appropriate address for the router in your browser's address line. Try http:// 192..168.2.1 (without the space) but if you tell us the model number of your Belkin router more help can be given.

It is by far the best to set up the router with it connected to your PC with a network cable rather than wireless. When everything is okay then you disconnect the cable and use the wireless adaptor.

postie24 19:01 20 Jul 07

Also make sure you set up encryption once your up and running.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…