Cannot access internet

steved99 10:36 22 Sep 05

Although I can connect to the internet and download e-mails OK (Outlook Express) I am unable to access anything on the internet itself through Internet Explorer. Whatever web address I've typed in so far just comes back with a windows style error message box saying "Internet Explorer could not open the search page".

Any ideas what the problem is please?

Thanks
Steve

johnnyrocker 10:40 22 Sep 05

what os and version of explorer do you have?

johnny.

Stuartli 10:50 22 Sep 05

It could be your Security and Privacy configuration (OE uses IE configuration so there can't be that much wrong).

Check your settings using the information provided by Microsoft at:

click here

and adjust as necessary for the required levels.

Probably worth starting off with the Defaults for the various zones and working from there.

steved99 11:47 22 Sep 05

I'm running Windows ME and IE version 6.0.2600.000015. I've reset all the settings I could find to the defaults (where it wasn't already set to default). i.e. all zones in the Security tab and also set defaults on the advanced tab.

Unfortunately I still get the error meassage.

Stuartli 11:50 22 Sep 05

Try a repair of IE. To save typing see:

click here

The Kestrel 12:08 22 Sep 05

Do you run Zonealarm, and have you recently downloaded the latest update? If so this may be the problem. I have had this problem with my wife's PC and eventually solved the problem by uninstalling ZA and replacing it with Sygate firewall. Her OS was also WindowsME

steved99 15:24 22 Sep 05

Thanks,
I've run the repair but regret no change to error message. I've not got Zonealarm installed.

Any other ideas please? Can I download IE onto a CD from microsoft.com and then try a complete re-install? Is that worth a try?

Thanks
Steve

babybell 15:45 22 Sep 05

I had a similar problem before after removing some just from my pc, i had to use the above program, hopefully someone might be able to point u in the right direction for this program as i don't know where to obtain it

babybell 15:45 22 Sep 05

That was meant to be junk not just!

BurrWalnut 15:56 22 Sep 05

Here are a few other things to try :-

1. Download this little fix click here
2. Find the hidden file ie.inf which is in the Windows\Inf folder. Right click the ie.inf file and choose Install from the menu that appears. Restart the computer when the files are copied.
4. To repair Internet Explorer 6 on a WinXP SP2 system, Start, Run, type "iexplore /rereg" (not the quotes but the space). It will re-register the DLLs.

BurrWalnut 15:59 22 Sep 05

I've spaced it a bit better for you to read :-

1. Download this little fix click here

2. Find the hidden file ie.inf which is in the Windows\Inf folder. Right click the ie.inf file and choose Install from the menu that appears. Restart the computer when the files are copied.

3. To repair Internet Explorer 6 on a WinXP SP2 system, Start, Run, type "iexplore /rereg" (not the quotes but the space). It will re-register the DLLs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…