Cannot access email with Outlook or Thunderbird

joethebow 14:13 14 Jun 07

I have several email addresses: 1 with Currant Bun, 1 with Freeuk & 1 with Btconnect.

I have just bought a new PC running Vista.

Tried both outlook & Thunderbird but I cannot access the email on either. I'm sure I've set everything up right.

In Thunderbird I get the message:

Connection to server pop3.btconnect.com timed out.

In Outlook the thing tries to connect on a Local Area Network. If I set it to Broadband connection it tries to dial a connection even though I've set 'Never dial my connection'

Then it tells me:

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'pop3.btconnect.com', Server: 'pop3.btconnect.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

Both Thunderbird and Outlook are using Port 110 so could this port be blocked and if so how do I unblock it?

Or am I missing something horribly simple.

recap 14:36 14 Jun 07

This error can appear if you have 'notify me if there are any new newsgroups' selected but don't have a news account set up. Go to TOOLS/OPTIONS/ GENERAL TAB and untick this option.

Stuartli 14:52 14 Jun 07

If you are using an Ethernet connected modem router (not USB), then each e-mail account will need to be configured from its Properties>Connection tab to collect mail using the LAN connection from the drop down menu.

joethebow 16:50 14 Jun 07

Sorted. The 29 day evluaion coy of McAfee security whatsit that Dell kindly pre-installed was not only bocking Otlook but was also slowing the net down to a crawl. Once I'd delted the ruddy thing everything was sweetness and light.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced