Cannot access Amazon

kainos 12:50 24 Aug 05

I cannot access Amazon. I have read and tried to follow the thread started by twitcher on 18.06.05. I have read and printed out the links given by VoG in response but I have to admit I have not been able to resolve the issue. When I look at the Hosts text file I can see that Amazon is mentioned, along with a number of other sites, but I cannot delete the entry.
Firstly, when I run the search to find Hosts I get 5 entries:

1) "1.hosts" (Type: HOSTS file)
2) "hosts" (Type: Text Document)
3) "Imhosts" (Type: SAM file)
Plus 2 back-up files.

I have tried adding .txt as a suffix but it will not accept this as it tells me that the file name already exists. So I have tried renaming each in turn, adding .txt deleting references to Amazon, and then renaming back to the original; but then when I recheck the file the Amazon references are still there.
I am sure I am being dense but is it it possible to explain in a way that even I can follow.
Seems to me the Hosts file would make a good subject for an article in PCA.
Help would be gratefully received.

VoG II 13:06 24 Aug 05

Start Windows Explorer.

Tools | Folder Options, View tab. Untick Hide extensions for known file types.

Navigate to C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc

Then look for the file called simply HOSTS (no .txt or anything else). If you do not find this file then the hosts file is not the cause of your problem.

If you find HOSTS, right click it and select Rename. Rename it to anything other than HOSTS then restart your PC.

kainos 14:19 24 Aug 05

Thank you VoG - I have done as you say and Amazon is restored. I'm not sure whether that is a good thing!
Presumably it is now OK to leave the file renamed and not to revert.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…