Can you use speedtouch and livebox together?

scissors 17:08 19 Aug 06

I have been using a speedtouch modem for broadband with no problems for a year. I use 2 laptops and just switch the cable between as required. Changed to livebox last weekend but for various reasons it only works on one laptop so I have reverted to the speedtouch modem. Would it be OK to use the speedtouch modem for one laptop and at the same time use the livebox for the other laptop, using the wireless connection? It sounds as if it should work but I don't want to cause any problems.

ade.h 17:36 19 Aug 06

The two modems will contend with each other for the connection: you won't be able to have them both connected to your ISP at the same time, so one device would have to be switched off at any one time.

scissors 16:44 20 Aug 06

Thanks for this. I assume from what you've said that as long as I only use one connection at any one time I should be OK. I am most likly to use the speedtouch in on my work laptop during the day and then use my personal laptop in the evening on the liveox wireless. Presumably I can leave them both plugged in all the time?

ade.h 17:02 20 Aug 06

Just to reiterate; one devices HAS to be switched off while the other is switched on. As you probably know, ADSL modems and routers are typically configured to establish a connection to the ADSL line and then log in to the ISP once they are powered up. That connection is then maintained unless or until the device is switched off.

mgmcc 17:11 20 Aug 06

It really doesn't make any sense to have a Livebox (which is a router and which can support the connection of multiple computers simultaneously to the internet) and to be messing about swapping between that on one PC and a basic modem on the other PC.

Why can you not connect the second laptop to the Livebox, even if you do so by ethernet cable which is no more restrictive than your existing arrangement?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…