can you use dial up with adsl modem ?

dazzling (work) 15:52 05 Oct 03

i am building a pc for a the moment he has a 56k dialup connection therfore needs a modem for that.shortly he will be changing to broadband and obviously will need an adsl just trying to save money here.can you run dialup through an adsl modem as this would avoid having to buy both.i suspect you cant but dont know that much about broadband as i dont have it.thanks for any help darren

graham√ 15:54 05 Oct 03

Sorry, no.

-pops- 15:55 05 Oct 03

No. The device used for ADSL is not actually a modem even though it is commonly termed such.

You can use a conventional modem and and ADSL "modem" on the same machine but not usually at the same time.

I still use a 56K modem to connecting my FAX system. This runs alongside my BT ADSL setup.

DieSse 15:59 05 Oct 03

"The device used for ADSL is not actually a modem"

Since ADSL uses a modulation technology to transmit it's signals, it really is a modem. Just a different type than an analogue PSTN modem.

dazzling (work) 16:11 05 Oct 03

thanks guys darren.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…