//some 3rd party need geo

can you tell what a site's been built with?

mco 21:17 14 Dec 05

Just wondering, because I often look at sites and would like to know. In one of mine it says 'net objects fusion' in the source code - but I already knew that! - but in sites I've viewed the code of, I can't find any clues. Is there anything I could look out for in the source code to give me an idea - or can you not tell?

PurplePenny 23:17 14 Dec 05

I only know when it is written into the metatags or a code comment :-)

Taran 11:48 15 Dec 05

If the source code contains a lot of lines with MM_ followed by the rest of a tag, it has been generated with Macromedia Dreamweaver.

If the tags begin with FP_ then it has been made with Microsoft FrontPage.
There are other ways to tell but if you have specific URLs we can help further.

T

mco 16:11 15 Dec 05

Taran - I'll go off on my travels looking for MM and FP!

The Moppit 21:08 16 Dec 05

The other obvious one is if its flash just right click and you'll have the macromedia flash options. However you probably know this and flash sites are easy to recognise.

PurplePenny 22:17 16 Dec 05

Yes: they're the ones that I click away from straight away :-)

Taran 06:55 17 Dec 05

I should have mentioned that you get the MM_ and FP_ tagging when you use that programs built in scripting features or its code snippet library.

Anyone coding a site in Dreamweaver, FrontPage, Adobe GoLive or whatever can do so, if they wish, without including any of the giveaway tags, but most people don't and so it can make site identification a little easier.

All I'm saying is the above was meant as a general guide.

T

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…