can you tell if sent emails have been read?

Real PC Virgin 13:47 10 Nov 06

While on here asking for other advice I was just wondering is there anyway of telling if emails that Ive sent are being opened/read. I mostly use yahoo to send mail but have got a hotmail account too.

anskyber 13:50 10 Nov 06

Which is your e-mail service, is it Outlook Express or the ones used by Yahoo?

Real PC Virgin 13:51 10 Nov 06

Yahoo, never use outlook express

anskyber 13:59 10 Nov 06

Stuck then I'm sorry. Outlook Express has a read mail function which will tell you if the e-mail has been received.

Real PC Virgin 14:07 10 Nov 06

ok thanks for your help anyway I think I used to use outlook express perhaps I can try that again,, is it easy to set up?

Real PC Virgin 14:18 10 Nov 06

By the way again anskyber you say outlook express will say if it has been received, but will it tell if it has been opened?

Sorry I did say I was a real virgin lol

R.C.M. 14:28 10 Nov 06

I use outlook express and I have a program called MSGTAG see click here

Unfortunately it does not work with yahoo but have a read. The free version puts a MSGTAG footer onto your sent emails.

Hope this will help you find a suitable program - there will be for your provider.

All the best.

anskyber 14:44 10 Nov 06

Have a read here particularly "master how you send e-mail"click here=

anskyber 14:47 10 Nov 06

Sorry that link did not work as it sould so heres an extract.

You can create a personal signature to attach to each message you send.

Master How You Send Email

Is it really better to give than to receive? Perhaps, especially if you've taken advantage of all the nifty features Outlook Express includes for the purpose of sending email.

Request read receipts. It can be frustrating to ship an email message off into cyberspace and not know whether your recipient ever received it. Fortunately, Outlook Express lets you request receipts for individual messages or all messages.

For an individual message, open the New Message window and input the sender's email address, a subject line, and whatever information you want to include in the body. Next, open the Tools menu (not to be confused with the Tools menu found in the main Outlook Express window) and click Request Read Receipt.

If you'd like to request receipts for all your messages, open the Options dialog box and choose the Receipts tab. Select the Request A Read Receipt For All Sent Messages checkbox, click Apply, and click OK. Keep in mind, however, that this process only works if the recipient chooses to send you back the receipt. Some email programs, including Outlook Express, let the recipient decide whether to send an acknowledgment. To control the read receipts your program sends out, choose the Receipts tab of the Options dialog box and select the appropriate radio button in the Returning Read

Set up rules so that Outlook Express automatically knows how to handle certain messages.

Receipts area. Click Apply and OK.

Real PC Virgin 15:00 10 Nov 06

That would not be any use I am afraid anskybar because I dont want to ask for the receipt, I just want to know if my emails have been opened. Reading about MSGTAG from R.C.M seems what I want it just a shame it doesnt work with msn or hotmail.

wee eddie 15:21 10 Nov 06

but you can tell if someone has opened it.

When you open e-mail Supplier, the e-mails in the window displayed in bold type. Once you click on the e-mail and open it, the type is no longer displayed in Bold.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…