Can you recover information from a dodgy floppy???

Carene 15:25 05 Feb 03

I know this is a long shot, but is there any possible way that you can recover information from floppies, when the drive refuses to read it.
I think my pc has just wiped about 50 documents off one of my floppies - one which hadnt been backed up recently.

please please help.

rowdy 15:30 05 Feb 03

Put in the A drive, go to Start/programs/Accessories/System tools /scandisk
then scan A drive with the ' autofix errors ' ticked it may just work

rowdy 15:32 05 Feb 03

Should have said set for thorough test in scandisc

Carene 15:38 05 Feb 03

Thanks for the suggestion but I'm on pc at work at moment, which doesn't seem to have a scandisk function.
I do at home though (and i so so hope it will work)!!

Do you have any other suggestions for now.

I am so bothered about losing the stuff and annoyed, that I am literally shaking.
(I will get into trouble for not doing back-up)

Ben Avery (Work) 15:45 05 Feb 03

Try this click here and try the free trial version. you never know?!

Carene 15:59 05 Feb 03

Right, okay just trying that now.

That is really good!
Badcopy has identified that there are files on the floppy, but says it cannot recover them (save them) as i'm only using a free copy.
i can purchase a full copy for $40 though!!
I can't really do that right now can I??
I'll have to though if i get real desperate!

wint 16:01 05 Feb 03

This happened to my daughter who lost a couple of months of homework (despite reminders to back up).

I took it into our IT dept who ran it on various PCs running Win98, NT4, 2000, XP and finally we had success on Linux.

Linux read the floppy with few problems.

This is only of use if you have access to someone with Linux of course.

Good luck, it may work for you too.

Ben Avery (Work) 16:01 05 Feb 03

Sorry, I'd not used that program, just figured it'd give you 30 days free or something.

I'll have another look for you!

Carene 16:08 05 Feb 03

Ben Avery,

Badcopy was semi- brilliant.
It's managed to identify stuff on the disk, just a pity i couldnt recover it with the free trial.

Perhaps thats why its a free trial - tempts you by showing you thats theres something there.......then snatches it away until you cough up the cash!!!

There is Linux on the machine - have never heard of it either.

Carene 16:10 05 Feb 03

That was supposed to say there ISN'T Linux on the machine, by the way.

Ben Avery (Work) 16:12 05 Feb 03

If that doesn't work, you could also try the DOS chkdsk command. Go to a command prompt (Start > MS-DOS Prompt or Start > Accessories > Command Prompt). Type chkdsk a:. This will run a very basic and quick check on the disk. If it comes up with some errors, but says that it won't fix them because the -f option was not specified, run it again, but this time type chkdsk a: -f.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…