Can you recommend a reliable MODEM please?

Jeecie 18:48 10 Jan 03
  Jeecie 18:48 10 Jan 03

Well long time no speak... long story short:

Modem was fried in the thunder-stomrs back in Summer... bought new PCI Modem but this doesn't work either (tried downloading new drivers etc... but the silly-thing won't even get as far as a dial tone before a blue-screen appears saying someing's wrong with the telephony.ini ?!).

(See also my original thread on the prob's if you like... click here)

Thus, I have resolved to purchase another modem (as both the other 2 seem stuffed).

Can anyone recommend a reliable internal PCI 56K modem please (not OEM please - I reckon an instruction manual etc., would help me no end with getting things up and working again)? Around £20 mark is what I'm thinking of spending....

Cheers in advance :)

Lú-tzé 19:27 10 Jan 03

Any of the diamond modems are reliable from my experience.

Lú-tzé 19:32 10 Jan 03

click here for similar to the last one I got.

Stuartli 20:59 10 Jan 03

Agree with Lú-tzé; my four-year-old Diamond SupraExpress 56k Pro modem has never given a moment's trouble and connects to Tiscali at 50.7k every time. It and similar modems from Diamond are still available.

On saying that, I have a friend with a £12 "soft" modem from Scan who manages 52k, also with Tiscali....:-(

fullywired23 22:06 10 Jan 03

I bought a 56k PCI soft modem ,from "DABS for £8.81 including VAT+ postage and I am delighted with it .Why pay top money for fancy modems when this will do the same job ,just as well.
viejo

jag245 22:14 10 Jan 03

most diamond or zoom modems seem to have a good rep

sbond 22:18 10 Jan 03

To be honest I have had trouble using software modems and now would only recommend hardware ones. I have had good experiences with both ISA and PCI hardware modems from MRI. The PCI one can be picked up for £20 or less if you scout around

Sir Radfordin™ 22:19 10 Jan 03

Nevr had any problems with internal modems - last one I bought was an OEM brown box from PC World (about a tenner) and it worked fine.

Jeecie 14:17 13 Jan 03

The new modem I bought (PCI) which didn't work was a Diamond one! I will scout around and let you know the outcome...

Jeecie 15:53 02 Feb 03

... well... small gas flame really...
I shopped around and bought an "Intel 536EP V.92 Modem" (model AMI-2019) from dabs.com for approx. £12 inc. p&p.

It's installed & working (hence this - my new addition to this old thread!)...

But I have a new problem re: the new modem's connection speeds which I will start a new thread on...

So for the moment this problem is "resolved" (tick!)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac