Can you recommend a graphics card ?

Paul33 12:50 13 Dec 14

I'm trying to improve my parents PC so that he can do basic video editing as it won't - at the moment - handle even the most basic video editing software because of inadequate system spec.

The software will only be Windows Movie Maker.

At the moment, the PC only has onboard graphics capability and I want to fit a simple, cheap graphics card ..... but what do I go for ?

Spec is .........

Dell DV051 Windows 7 3.00 GHz Intel Pentium 4 2GB RAM One empty PCI slot

Any advice appreciated.

SANAP 15:04 13 Dec 14

video editing is a bind and all the specs they give are always too low. editing eats memory or ram, 2gb is ok but not enough. The cpu needs to be quad core as well.

And dont go cheap it will be a waste, however this is the spec you need to look at and I would increase ram to 4gb, not that dear.

"Graphics or video card:

Video card or video driver that supports Microsoft DirectX 9.0c (or later) and Pixel Shader 2.0 (or later). For DirectX 9 hardware on Windows 7, go to Windows Update.

To determine the DirectX version that your video card supports, use the Microsoft DirectX Diagnostic Tool.

To open the DirectX Diagnostic Tool in Windows 7, click the Start button The Start button, type dxdiag in the search box, and then, in the list of results, click dxdiag. Click the Display tab, and then look at the value for DDI Version. To open the DirectX Diagnostic Tool in Windows 8 or Windows 8.1, tap or click StartWindows logo key in the lower-left corner of the screen, start typing dxdiag, and then click dxdiag in the list of results. Click the System tab, and then look at the value for DirectX Version. Additional required programs: Photo Gallery and Windows Media Player "

good luck, I am doing a bit of editing on a HD movie with 32gb of ram and a 2gb graphics and quad core processor and its a nightmare.

one other point when they are editing tell them to clear memory of everything possible as a load of stuff runs in the background.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac