Can you limit the number of rows/columns in Excel?

bradwell boy 19:05 01 Jul 03

In excel you can put a background onto the worksheet. The background repeats all the way to the end of column IV and Row 66000ish. When saved this increases the size of the file (too much).

Is there a way to restrict the number of rows/columns so the background is not repeating over such a big area. I've tried to make each row/column 0.01cm wide but this does not reduce the size over which the picture is repeated. When you delete or cut rows/columns it just replaces them. Tried to search everyhere to limit the number of cells that excel uses but no luck.

Giggle n' Bits 19:27 01 Jul 03

it up or editing, will have to get my ECDL notes out to recap so someone will maybe beat me to it.

Sir Radfordin 19:39 01 Jul 03

A guess would be to hide the cells/rows/columns in question but I don't know if it would reduce the total file size.

wee eddie 20:34 01 Jul 03

"Set print area".

bradwell boy 20:39 01 Jul 03

Hiding the rows/columns does not reduce the file size, it just obscures them from view. Set print area is only useful when I want to print the page and only want a certain number of rows/colums where actual data is contained. Afraid it doesn't do anything when the file is saved and closed.

DieSse 20:57 01 Jul 03

I saved a totally blank workbook = 14Kb. I then added as a background a 4Kb picture and resaved it, it was then 29Kb. So clearly the background is not saved hundreds of times - probably only once in fact, with other overheads about positioning accounting for the difference.

So I don't see that you have to worry about this.

bradwell boy 22:54 01 Jul 03

Just tinkering about using different pictures to put as a background, the size the file increases to does not seem to be consistent. Even though the file size of the picture may be small, if the picture is larger in physical size it seems to increase the spreadsheet file size more.

VoG II 23:14 01 Jul 03

No you cannot - it is fixed and depends on which version of Excel that you are using.

As DieSse says, Excel stores one copy of the graphic plus overheads. Changing the number of rows and columns would not change the file size.

If you are trying to use a very detailed graphic then that may be where your problem lies. Try using a graphics program to save it as a .JPG which will be smaller than a .BMP

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…