can you just use a pci network card for broadband?

Tecno Dan 17:23 01 Feb 03

hiya, our local exchange is being upgraded to broadband in the coming months and im looking at the cost of getting it.

Now from what I can see these "usb ADSL modems" +filters cost from about 60-100 quid. To cut down the cost could I just buy a standard pci network card and use that? of course I would still need the aproperiate micro filters and cable.

my second thought is this, I have a small network of 3 comptuers in my house and possibly a router like this one click here for 60quid is good value. I realise that it is the same price as a USB modem, but maybe it would make financial sense. what do you guys think? Also would it act like my hub does at the moment for sharing data, and printers etc?

i would apreciate any input on this matter,

regards,

Dan

jazzypop 17:32 01 Feb 03

A combined ADSL modem/router, like the one you linked to, would be ideal.

Plug the phone line into the back of the router, and each PC to the front.

Just like a hub, but with shared BB access. You don't need any more network cards, as you must have one in each PC to connect to the hub.

Forget USB - it can be made to perform networking, but even the people who invented it discourage its use for networking purposes.

BTW, you can also connect the hub to the router, to give even more connections.

Tecno Dan 18:04 01 Feb 03

cheers jazzypop,

here is a more detailed spec of that router click here

it mentions something about being a print server, does that mean i could plug up my laser printer to it as well?

Also it mentions dial up, so if i bought it now could i use it on the network with my standard dial up account?

thanks for you help so far, much apreciated,

regards,

Dan

Sir Radfordin™ 18:14 01 Feb 03

It could just be me being a bit asleep at the weekend but where does it say this has an ADSL modem built into the router?

Is this not just a normal router and so you would still need to have a cable modem, or in this case an ADSL modem?

jazzypop 18:17 01 Feb 03

Hmmmm - can connect to a modem, cable modem, ADSL modem, etc, etc - that is a switch (similar to your hub).

Ideally, you should look for a combined ADSL modem & switch - this is what is commonly described as a router, nowadays (although, just to confuse matters, switches also have routing capabilities).

You will find a selection of ADSL routers, with reviews, at click here

There is also good advice available at click here , especially in the forums.

jazzypop 18:19 01 Feb 03

P.S - if a router has a print server built-in (as mine does), you can connect the printer to it and all PCs can share the printer. Check the connection for the printer, though - most have parallel ports for the printer.

Joe McG 18:19 01 Feb 03

jazzypop, I have been using Blueyonder Broadband for approximately 18 months now through USB, and never had a problem with it.

jazzypop 18:34 01 Feb 03

I don't doubt it.

My response was made in the context that Tecno Dan (amongst other things) was seeking comparisons between USB and Ethernet for networking purposes.

I firmly believe that Ethernet is a far more suitable method of networking than USB, from practical experience of both, as well as researching the theory. If you have a choice, use Ethernet.

If you are happy with USB, that's fine - I don't have a problem with that.

See click here , Q9

Tecno Dan 18:46 01 Feb 03

thanks for pointing out the fact that the router i mentioned did not have a modem in it.

The list you gave me was very helpfull.

With regards to setting up windows apps to use the router to access the interest, is that relatively easy? for example would i have to configure each program like Norton AV and windows messenger individually to access the net through the router or do i just have to setup a gateway?

many thanks for all your replys guys,

regards,

Dan

jazzypop 18:53 01 Feb 03

Your new router will almost certainly have a settings page, which can be accessed from any of your PCs by typing the web address of your router (typically 192.168.0.1).

You connect a PC, type that address into your browser, and login to the router. You then allow access from the PCs in your network (either by IP address or MAC address, or both).

The only settings that need to change on the PC are Control Panel > Internet Connections > Connections > LAN.

All of this will be explained in more detail in the instructions book.

Personally, I would not be a slightly cheaper 'no-name' router - look for one from Netgear, Linksys etc, where you have far better chance of getting decent customer support.

Checkout the potential supplier's website Support section before purchasing, to try to get an idea of how helpful they are.

Last time I looked, dabs.com had good prices on a wide range of routers.

Tecno Dan 19:18 01 Feb 03

thanks for all your advise today,

one last question i have about using a router instead of a USB ADSL modem is the question of performance. My network hub is X10, i suppose it depends on how much data is being transfered between computers, but is the performance of USB modem vs. router about the same?

a big thanks to all the advise today!

regards,

Dan

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…