Can you just reactivate Windows?

chrismuir 12:58 14 Jan 11

Hi

Have a desktop pc with windows 7 on it. Would like to give the pc a performance boost, but the processor is as fast as the motherboard will accept.

If I was to get a new motherboard and processor, can I just plug my current HDD in? Was told that you would need to reactivate windows and all would be fine, not convinced. Or do I need to reinstall windows and all the programs?

MTIA

Chris

bjh 13:10 14 Jan 11

It depends if the operating system was OEM or full purchase. An oem Windows will be tied to that motherboard, and will not activate with that key. A full retail version will. If the o.s. was supplied with the computer, it is almost certainly an oem type, and you will not be able to do this.

GaT7 14:16 14 Jan 11

What bjh says is technically true regarding an OEM licence, but Microsoft is usually OK when it comes to having to change/upgrade/replace your motherboard (or other components) & will let you reactivate without too much hassle - a free phone call & entering a few codes is the max you'll have to do.

You can ask them prior to doing it (just in case) by calling them on 0800 018 8354 (Mon - Fri 08:00 - 18:00). If you get an automated voice, keep holding on or keep pressing the 0 (zero) button on your phone every few seconds in order to talk to a human being.

Yes, you will need to reactivate Windows if you change the motherboard. Depending on the motherboard, you may or may not have to reinstall Win7 (& programs) afresh, but it's always advisable to do so anyway for the best results. G

ventanas 14:45 14 Jan 11

Probably will not reactivate. I am reading now from the Microsoft book Windows7 Inside Out.
"If you upgrade your PC with a new motherboard it will then be considered a new PC and the OEM licence will be invalid. You will need to purchase a new licence."

Make very sure first.

A change of motherboard does seem to be OK if it is faulty. How they will know the difference I don't know. But as I said make sure.

gengiscant 15:50 14 Jan 11

You will need to reinstall Windows as all the drivers for your motherboard will be for the old board and not your new one, so you cannot just plug your HDD and all will be fine.

So yes you will need to reinstall your programs as well. This will help with some of the more popular bits of software a lot of us have on our PC's.click here

woodchip 16:04 14 Jan 11

Also I do not think the PC will start without using a Win 7 CD to do a repair as Configuration and Drivers will be wrong for the new motherboard

GaT7 16:20 14 Jan 11

"You will need to reinstall Windows as all the drivers for your motherboard will be for the old board and not your new one, so you cannot just plug your HDD and all will be fine."

That is not entirely accurate. I have swapped motherboards many times with none to few problems.

See the last sentence in my Fri, [email protected]:16 post. I think the truth lies somewhere in between.

"Also I do not think the PC will start without using a Win 7 CD to do a repair as Configuration and Drivers will be wrong for the new motherboard"

You may be right, but I've had other experiences as above. One can only know for sure after connecting the motherboard & booting for the first time.

Don't people read other's posts? G

mimosa418 16:28 14 Jan 11

Must agree with ventanas.
I have installed new motherboards and reinstalled windows from an OEM disc without problem, though I have always had to go through the automated activation by ohone entering te long list of numbers.

gengiscant 16:31 14 Jan 11

If you are replacing the mobo with one that is the same,you may get away with it,but there is no guarantee. But if you are replacing the motherboard with a totally different one,as I believe 'chrismuir' wishes to do then he will need to reinstall windows as the drivers for his Mobo will be different and his PC is unlikely to boot.

GaT7 16:37 14 Jan 11

Not always. The new motherboard will just reject the previous drivers & attempt to install its own from the install. And as it's Win7, there's a greater chance it will work.

But always recommended to do a fresh install as stated - I hope we can agree on that! G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…