Can you delete an XP restore point

Sethhaniel 10:31 11 Oct 04

AVG warns that there is a Trojan Horse Downloader.lstbar.4.AE in C:\System Volume Information\_restore(etc etc)
of course AVG insists on running to remove it. Then can't get it as it is in the restore - solution turn off System restore and run - but then all your restore points are zero'd ??!!
Unhiding the C:\System Volume does not let you in to remove the offending item - or does it????????
Any help ;)

VoG II 10:37 11 Oct 04
  easyrider 10:37 11 Oct 04

I believe the XP Help and Support gives instructions on how to remove restore points.

Sethhaniel 11:03 11 Oct 04

I remember that thread - think it went round in circles - but may have missed a bit the last time round - The 'take ownership of file' part - will try that - but think I travelled that path and gave into the option of starting fresh with no restore points ;)
Let you know if it works tomorrow ;)

BurrWalnut 15:39 11 Oct 04

It's easy to remove restore points in XPPro but not so easy in XPHome.

If you get Access Denied in WinXP Pro you may have to "take ownership" of the file/folder before it can be deleted. First of all go to Folder Options, View Tab and in the Advanced Settings at the end, untick "Use simple file sharing", which will allow the Security tab to be shown in the file's properties. Also, in Folder options, make sure hidden and system files can be viewed. WinXP Home is different, this site may help click here

To take ownership of the file (it's best done at the folder level), right-click it, Properties, Security Tab, add your user name, fill in all the permissions and Apply. You can now access it and/or delete files within it.

Sethhaniel 16:14 11 Oct 04

and have the answer for you in morning ;)

Sethhaniel 08:39 12 Oct 04

tried 'Folder Options' first but no security tag -
already had unhide all system files & folders - Still no ACCESS to C:\System Volume -
tried Share files option - no luck
Then on to software fix from BurrWalnut - but that
wouldn't run as NT4 service pack not installed
Later while looking in explorer noticed System Volume so clicked on it and lo & behold there was the folder on view - 114 folder containing 8,847 files size 2.31GB - found the offending restore point RP149 and deleted it - thus leaving me 113 restore points - So time for 'spring clean' have now whittled that down to 13 folders with 290 files at 129MB - (now I've found where all my disk space is disappearing)
So out come Deleted restore point without losing them all - got rid of 'Trojan' and got more space to fillup :)

Carafaraday 09:08 12 Oct 04

Where in explorer did you find System Volume?

Sethhaniel 09:54 12 Oct 04

In explore it is a hidden file - so its Tools -Folder Options - View - Show hidden files and folders -
then of course you may not have access to it - so folllow the rest of thread with fingers crossed ;)

GroupFC 10:07 12 Oct 04

Try this:-

Windows XP Professional or Windows XP Home Edition Using the FAT32 File System

1. Click Start, and then click My Computer.

2. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.

3. On the View tab, click Show hidden files and folders.

4. Clear the Hide protected operating system files (Recommended) check box. Click Yes when you are prompted to confirm the change.

5. Click OK.

6. Double-click the System Volume Information folder in the root folder to open it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 Plus review: better cameras and waterproofing make this the best iPhone yet

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple to launch new Macs and MacBook Pros at an event on October 27

iPhone vs Android | iOS vs Android: 5 reasons why Apple's iPhones beat Google Android smartphones ()…