can you delete icons from only 1 XP user account?

ajar 15:18 12 Mar 06

Hi

I am about to start sharing my computer with my young son, but I don't want the icons that I have on my desktop showing on his. It is probably really simple, but I cannot workout how to delete icons from his account without them disappearing from mine. Can anyone help please?
(I'm running XP with SP2)

Thanks

BigRik 16:33 12 Mar 06

This sounds crazy, but it works for me. Log on to his account. Any icons which you don't want on his account, delete them. Go back to your account. Any that have gone, put the shortcut from the program onto your desktop (from the relevant program in the start menu). When you've finished, go back to his account and you should find that any you've put back on yours shouldn'nt be there.

Hope it helps.

Jackcoms 18:54 12 Mar 06

Simply deleting the icons from your son's desktop will not prevent him from using the programs if those programs are still available to him in his Start; All Programs menu.

The only sure way of denying him access is to remove the Program shortcut/s from C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs.

Before doing that, though, ensure that the relevant Program shortcut/s already exist in C:\Documents and Settings\Your user name\Start Menu\Programs.

BigRik 20:45 12 Mar 06

Yes, sorry. After reading Jackcoms' post I realized I should have added that although it will tidy up your sons desktop, it won't prevent him accessing the programs by other means.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced