Can you copy XP updates between PCs?

Bargee 12:32 PM 31 Dec 11

Hiya,

I'm re-installing an upgrade version of XP Home SP1 onto a new HDD. Automatic updates is not working & I'm trying to update the SPs. I've experienced problems trying to download SP1a, the minimum for SP3, & it won't connect to the server. I've tried SP2 & had similar problems with that. I've now managed to download SP3 as a file for manual install & its buzzzing away installing now.

My question is: Is it possible to copy the updates from a fully updated version of XP Home on 1 PC & copy them across into the equivalent folders in Windows on the PC I'm trying to upgrade?

Probably not, but I thought I'd put it out there.

Cheers.

northumbria61 12:57 PM 31 Dec 11

There is a way to do it with Vista (may be the same for XP) Take a look here enter link description here

northumbria61 12:58 PM 31 Dec 11

One Query - have you checked in SERVICES to see if Windows Updates is turned ON?

Bargee 13:03 PM 31 Dec 11

Nice try northumbria61, but that utility was blocked by Microsoft in '07.

I'm wondering whether I need to have activated windows before trying to install the updates, so I'm going to try that.

northumbria61 13:14 PM 31 Dec 11

that utility was blocked by Microsoft in '07 I wasn't aware of that. It is several years since I used XP and over 2 yrs since using Vista.

rdave13 13:24 PM 31 Dec 11

You can download and save them from here

Bargee 14:24 PM 31 Dec 11

Yes, northumbria, auto updates is turned on.

Thanks rdave, I'm doing that now, starting with SP2 & if that goes OK, it'll be the SP3 hotfix for AMD processors followed by SP3 itself.

Can't understand why it won't connect properly for updates, I get a probably unable to connect web page instead.

Bargee 14:45 PM 31 Dec 11

Success!

rdave13, downloading & installing SP2 from that link has fixed it.

Thanks rdave & everyone who contributed.

Cheers.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? Windows 10 is now available, so do you have to upgrade? 8 reasons…

Why Vodafone’s frequency choice should interest you: The benefits of 800MHz

Digital visionaries discuss Designing the Future

How to run Windows 10 on Mac: How to run Windows 10 using Boot Camp or VirtualBox to install…