Can you copy XP updates between PCs?

Bargee 12:32 31 Dec 11

Hiya,

I'm re-installing an upgrade version of XP Home SP1 onto a new HDD. Automatic updates is not working & I'm trying to update the SPs. I've experienced problems trying to download SP1a, the minimum for SP3, & it won't connect to the server. I've tried SP2 & had similar problems with that. I've now managed to download SP3 as a file for manual install & its buzzzing away installing now.

My question is: Is it possible to copy the updates from a fully updated version of XP Home on 1 PC & copy them across into the equivalent folders in Windows on the PC I'm trying to upgrade?

Probably not, but I thought I'd put it out there.

Cheers.

northumbria61 12:57 31 Dec 11

There is a way to do it with Vista (may be the same for XP) Take a look here enter link description here

northumbria61 12:58 31 Dec 11

One Query - have you checked in SERVICES to see if Windows Updates is turned ON?

Bargee 13:03 31 Dec 11

Nice try northumbria61, but that utility was blocked by Microsoft in '07.

I'm wondering whether I need to have activated windows before trying to install the updates, so I'm going to try that.

northumbria61 13:14 31 Dec 11

that utility was blocked by Microsoft in '07 I wasn't aware of that. It is several years since I used XP and over 2 yrs since using Vista.

rdave13 13:24 31 Dec 11

You can download and save them from here

Bargee 14:24 31 Dec 11

Yes, northumbria, auto updates is turned on.

Thanks rdave, I'm doing that now, starting with SP2 & if that goes OK, it'll be the SP3 hotfix for AMD processors followed by SP3 itself.

Can't understand why it won't connect properly for updates, I get a probably unable to connect web page instead.

Bargee 14:45 31 Dec 11

Success!

rdave13, downloading & installing SP2 from that link has fixed it.

Thanks rdave & everyone who contributed.

Cheers.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Honor 5X review: Hands-on with the new budget phone from Hauwei's young brand

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

You can now publish data visualisations to the web from Power BI

Complete guide to Apple's campus 2, everything we know about the new spaceship HQ, plus: new drone…