Can you compress photo's for e-mail in Irfanview

TommyRed 22:26 21 Apr 04

I have Adobe Photoshop elements and do it in that but friends who send to me on dial-up experience real problems. Can you do it in Irfanview or another free program which I could get them to install? TIA TR

GANDALF <|:-)> 22:32 21 Apr 04

IMHO photoresizer 1.03 is the best. It will compress to about 40kb, is free and you can mail directly from the programme or save to file. Best programme ever.

G

dez fowler 22:36 21 Apr 04

Dude, Photoshop is *the* best. You should be using jpeg format and you should check the resolution and dimensions depending on what the photos are to be used for. If you want to print them out in photo quality they need to be pretty big (above 150dpi and about 6" x 4"), if they're just for monitor viewing then you want 72dpi and a decent size in pixels.

Use the Image Resize feature in Photoshop and then use the Save for Web feature to see what effect the jpeg compression has. You want as little compression as possible if they're to be printed as it'll introduce artifacts.

TommyRed 23:12 21 Apr 04

Downloaded will try it out and see, must say it sounds good, but then so did the Sinclair C5.

dez fowler, thanks for the advice, I do use the 'save for web' feature but the dpi info is useful. TR

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…