Can XP b 2 activated without product key?

blacksamurai 19:55 24 Feb 04

I have a copy of windows XP and my computer was custom made without the official microsoft product key on the case, is there a way to solve the problem? Without too much expense.

Diodorus Siculus 19:59 24 Feb 04

Go to the manufacturer and ask for an official copy of the OS if you have been charged for this.

Otherwise you will have to buy the OS.

Eric10 20:04 24 Feb 04

If you can still get into Windows you can find the Product Key with a freeware utility click here

Djohn 20:15 24 Feb 04

If XP is installed on your PC, then you don't need to know the Product key number. You only need the number to install the program.

Connect to the internet and click on the "Activate" Icon or message and it will do so automatically for you. j.

Eric10 21:19 24 Feb 04

As Djohn says, if it's just a matter of activating your XP installation then you don't need to know the Product Key. However, you still need to know the number and keep it in a safe place because sooner or later you may need to reinstall Windows and then it will be too late.

Diodorus Siculus 22:02 24 Feb 04

Sorry, I misinterpreted the query. As long as you have the OS CD / system restore facility, you will be ok and can get the CD key as illustrated above.

Site Administrator 22:13 24 Feb 04

You should be able to do it online.

Cesar 10:34 25 Feb 04

The Product key is always found at the following:
right click "My Computer" click properties click on the "General" tab and under the windows logo you will find the "product key" a 20 digit code make a note of this for future reference.

Eric10 10:56 25 Feb 04

Cesar

If you think you can reinstall XP from that number then I'm afraid that you will be sorely disappointed. It used to be the case in Win95 but not for a long time now.

keith-236785 12:27 25 Feb 04

As Eric10 says, download and run keyfinder, it will tell you the key for windows (any version) and also the key for MSOffice. choose file/print and then you will have the numbers needed to re-install windows. you would still need to contact microsoft to validate the product (only if you do a format/reinstall).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…