Can XP 64 be uninstalled?

dms05 09:10 20 May 06

I have XP Home and the XP 64 evaluation edition installed on my 64 bit laptop. They dual boot with XP Home on C: and XP 64 on D: . I've decided XP 64 offers me no advantage for my applications and would like to remove it. Elsewhere I've seen advice to simply delete the XP 64 files on D: and then run FIXMBR followed by editing boot.ini. As my XP Home is installed in a hidden partition it's not as simple as running Recovery Console from the XP CD.

Any one ever tried this? Advice appreciated if you have!

Forum Editor 10:00 20 May 06

Go to control panel. Open System Properties Select Advanced tab; Startup and Recovery; Settings button.

Select the Edit button and from notepad, backup boot.ini, by going to File; Save As and rename boot.ini. to something like boot.inibak.

Delete the line(s) referencing the boot option you want to remove.

Set timeout=0 so the system boots directly into Windows XP (you will not get the boot menu).

Save As boot.ini & Exit.

Now delete all the 64bit files on your D drive

dms05 11:03 20 May 06

Terrific answer FE! Much simpler. I'll follow your instructions exactly.

dms05 11:57 20 May 06

I followed the instructions exactly. Took me under 2 minutes. XP 64 was removed and I'm now back to a direct boot into XP Home and no trace of the 2-3Gb of XP 64 can be found.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…