Can win98 take a long network cable?

Ivor_Monkey 19:11 14 Jan 06

I have a specific network problem. Help needed please.
The facts are these. A PC running win98 is networked with 5m cable, but cannot be networked with 30m cable. Another pc (XP) can be networked with either the 5m or the 30m cables. So, network setting on win98 are good and both cables are good. RJ45 plugs have been changed several times on 30m cable. A a new network card has been fitted to win98. It works with other cables, but not 30m cable.

So could a win98 machine have problems with 30m cable? if so, what is the max length?

Any thoughts please?

paranomia 00:47 15 Jan 06

I have used a 50m reel of cable successfully with Win98se. I would be suspecting the nic card in the Win98 machine, can you exchange for another known worker, preferably another manufacturer? I know this sounds ridiculous, but I had a machine that was extremely unstable on the network until I fitted a 3com card then all was well. (Not recommending 3com in particular, just cured that one problem!)
Just a thought....

Ivor_Monkey 09:11 15 Jan 06

Thanks. I have tried two working network cards. The second being a brand new linksys.

Ivor_Monkey 16:50 15 Jan 06

I have just returned with a new 20m cable. But still no joy with the win98 pc.

How can it be that the win98 pc will work with a shorter cable -3m - 5m, but not with 20m or 30m cables, using either the orignal network card or new netowrk card.

Is there a setting somewhere deep with the win98 system that might be limiting the signal?

Anyone?

Ivor_Monkey 10:14 12 Feb 06

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…