Can web surfers switch off JavaScript?

Marky_Bhoy 21:33 11 Jul 04

I like to use JavaScript to check that forms have been completed correctly before they are sent.

But my JavaScript will be of no use if web surfers can switch of JavaScript.

I thought that people might want to switch it off to stop pop-up adds etc.

I had a look in the tools section on IE v6.0 but could not see anything. I also have Norton AV 2004 but can not see any control there either.

Could someone inform me if web surfers can switch off JavaScript and therefore bypass my form checks?

Thanks in advance

barryoneoff.co.uk 23:33 11 Jul 04

Yes

Gaz 25 01:12 12 Jul 04

Classed as Active Scripting in IE.

Marky_Bhoy 12:02 12 Jul 04

Thanks guys.

I found the control that allows me to turn off JavaScript. (Allow I reckon that most people leave this to the default setting that allows it)

However this seems that my JavaScript file that checks my forms is potentially a waste of time.

So I will have to back it up with PHP error handling. But this has the drawback of increasing web traffic.

Would anyone like to comment on form handling with PHP/JavaScript?

PurplePenny 14:00 12 Jul 04

Keep the JavaScript from checker but add a <noscript> - an instruction to tell the browser what to do if JavaScript is unavailable. It could for instance add a paragraph to the page saying "This form could not be checked automatically as JavaScript is not available or diabled. Please check the form to ensure that you have completed the required fields." Put that between <noscript> tags and it will not be seen by anyone with JavaSCript.

javaBalls 16:25 15 Jul 04

thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…