Can a virus physically damage a PC?

s99Raj 08:13 16 Sep 03

I ask this question because a PC of mine got the virus called backdoor.feeth (at the time it was running Windows 98SE).

I wanted to upgrade and thought this was a good time, so bought a brand new 60 GB Hitachi hard disk and started to put XP Prof on it. After formatting to NTFS it got to 100% but said that Setup could not continue because of some hard disk error. After a 5th time XP loaded, but now I get a blue screen asking me to update my graphics adapter or my BIOS or sometimes nothing at all. Sometimes it starts up OK, sometimes not, even in Safe Moe it has problems. The PC keeps restarting over and over and up pops a message similar to the recent laster or Welchia, but I don't see how I could have got a virus just by formatting and loading an OS. I certainly haven't been on the Net with it. And yet the hard drive formats perfectly OK on a different friends machine.

What could be worng with my PC - all I did was to remove the old hard disk and add in a new one and tried to add XP? I might just take the hard disk back to the shop and exchange it.

Does backdoor.feeth affect a PC physically??

Jester2K II 08:17 16 Sep 03

OK you're going to have to give us those error messages in full.

Also when installing the OS remove all unneeded cards. Get the system up and running with the bare minimum of hardware first, then add cards one at a time...

Can a virus physically harm the PC - only a handful can do this and this isn't one of them.

AMD 4 ever 08:19 16 Sep 03

It would seem that there is a hardware issue here, tat is upsetting xp. Did you get any stop errors whilst installing xp? I had this with a Nvidia Ti4200, XP hated it. I have a few suggestions that worked for me in the past:

Drop down your cpu speed, but 200-400mhz, see if that helps?? Update your BIOS, Update to Latest graphics card driver.

PS Viruses can typically be a nuisance more than harmful BUT never under estimate them as they can render hardware useless like BIOS etcSo always keep up-to-date.

slide 09:03 16 Sep 03

Yes. Could be a virus in the bios.
Flash the bios, debug the hard drive.
If it's an old (two years) GVC motherboard in a Micron PC, that would be the problem.
Need more info!

MAJ 09:08 16 Sep 03

IBM/Hitachi 60 gig drive----very, very iffy piece of hardware. Would be worthwhile seeing if you can get your money back and change it for a Maxtor, Seagate or Western Digital drive. I'm not saying it's causing this problem but it wont be long.......

s99Raj 10:48 16 Sep 03

Where's a good place to look about updating the BIOS. I've never done that before, so now's a good time to learn.
Are Hitachi hard drives really all that bad??

SheffieldSpy 10:52 16 Sep 03

Beware!! If you plan to update the BIOS, ensure that the machine is connected to a reliable power source. Any power surges or sudden loss of power could render your machine useless. Ensure that you know everything that should happen and listen out for bleep codes, because you are unlikely to get much or any visual feedback.

SheffieldSpy 10:57 16 Sep 03

How old is your PC?? Was your old HDD under 2.0GB?? Some computer BIOSes cannot handle more than 2GB HDD's here a BIOS upgrade may be useful.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…