Can view but cannot connect to D-Link Wireless

jessyb 19:40 23 Aug 06

I am trying to connect to D-Link DI-624 wireless using an HP Dv6000 laptop. The laptop is picking up an excellent signal but it just won't connect to the wireless. I therefore cannot fire to 192.168.0.1 either to set up the network.

It has allowed me to connect to a 3com signal that I randomly pick.

I am writing this from my old laptop which is connected by wireless.

Any help/tips would be greatly appreciated.

mgmcc 19:54 23 Aug 06

If you are connecting to the router "wirelessly" from your *OLD* laptop, then the router must already be set up correctly and you should have no need to access its Setup page (at 192.168.0.1) from the new laptop.

Having said that, if the new laptop was connected to the wireless network, it should be able to access the router.

Have you actually "Connected" to the wireless network? In other words, have you run the wireless adapter's software, scanned for "Available Wireless Networks", found and highlighted the one that matches your router's SSID (network name) and selected the option to "Connect" to it? Once "Connected", the wireless adapter should get its IP address by DHCP from the router and you should have network and internet access.

There is a difference between the Wireless Network Adapter and Router communicating with a good signal and "Connecting" (as in "logging in") to your Wireless network.

jessyb 20:16 23 Aug 06

The laptop is only picking up the signal - it times out when trying to connect.

I have just tried connecting to the router using a cable to connect to 192.168.0.1 which worked but it still wont connect to the d-link via wireless after that (it wouldn't connect to the net either using the cable)

i'm thinking it must be the IP no's but thats as far as my knowlege goes

thanks for the reply

FelixTCat 20:32 23 Aug 06

jessyb,

Is the wireless network encrypted. If so, you have to use the same encryption, with the same key, in the new laptop.

You ought to be using encryption if you can detect other networks nearby.

Regards,

Felix

jessyb 22:07 23 Aug 06

unfortunately its not that as i have taken it off to do this

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's most powerful…

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple