Can USB 3 hubs Work in USB 2 Laptop

ponytail 10:16 06 Oct 13

I want to get a 3 or 4 port USB hub and have seen a couple I like on Ebay but they say they are USB 3.My laptop has USB 2 so will these USB 3 hubs work on my laptop

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:28 06 Oct 13

Not at USB 3 speed, save money and get a cheap powered USB2 hub

USB3 is backwards compatible with USB2 i.e. plug a 3 device into a 2 port and it will run at the lower speed.

If you use a USB3 port and USB 3 hub I believe if you plug a USB2 device into the HUB any USB3 devices also pluged into the HUB will be limited to the lower USB2 speed.

alanrwood 16:44 06 Oct 13

Go for a USB2 hub unless you want to be future proofed and the USB3 is not much more expensive than a USB2

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:21 06 Oct 13

One of these will give you full USB3 speed on your laptop

Ejz 08:08 15 Nov 13

USB 3.0 (also known as SuperSpeed USB) has a maximum bandwidth rate of 5 gbps (gigabits per second). That translates to 640 MBps (megabytes per second)—ten times faster than USB 2.0 (aka Hi-Speed USB). So it can really save time for the data transmission (provided that you got an USB 3 Device).

Personally I purchased the HooToo HT-UH006 after very careful research of many USB 3.0 powered hubs currently available on the market. I was most concerned that it would be totally compatible with my 27" iMac.

As with most Apple Macs there are never enough USB ports, only four on my iMac so an additional 7 would be more than I need. As it says in the instruction booklet it’s plug and use and it is. It worths every penny of it, highly recommended.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:20 15 Nov 13

Spam?

see my first post, you will gain no advantage as the ports on your laptop are only USB2.

Ejz 01:35 21 Nov 13

well although you have yet to acquire any USB 3 gadgets. Nonetheless, if and when you do, you won't have to rummage about for a spare port... USB 3 seems to be the trend, it is not the cheapest at the moment, but worth it in the long run... Hope this helps;)

wee eddie 03:45 21 Nov 13

I do not agree with Fruitbat, although I know that he is correct about the lack of any improvement while using it connected via USB2.

The Hub, which should (IMHO) be a Powered one, will be useful long after your Lappy has gone to it's grave. Its replacement will have USB3 Ports, so get a Powered USB3 one and save having to replace it in a couple of years time.

ponytail 08:51 21 Nov 13

Hi Fruitbat thanks for your advice sorry I meant everyones advice I know this is not connected but when I clicked on fruitbats link I liked what I saw one problem I could not get back into PCA as the back button was not highlighted so had to click on the cross top right which took me right and then had to log in again thought I could click on the back button.This happens on some other sites.Does anyone know the answer

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5