Can upgrading ram corrupt sound?

cdb 20:25 14 Aug 07

I added 2Gig of ram to my old pc yesterday. I put the 2 new 1gig dimms in slot 1 and 2 and put one of the old 256Megs in slot 3.

Everything seemed ok. It all registered and the pc seemed to work ok, but......

I don't know if this is coincidence or related but my sound is now distorting alot. Not all the time but most of it.
This is a random (poor) clip of an example. The effect changes every time and occasionally the sound plays fine.

click here

Could my new memory be causing this?
Should I take the 256M out and just leave the two 1Gig pair?
Or is it coincidence and if so, any ideas what's causing it?

The memory is ddr pc2700. It's supposed to be backwards compatable with my older pc.

Thanks for any help.

umbongo(uk) 20:42 14 Aug 07

what new ram did you put in ?
say you put in 2gb of pc3200

if so by putting the 2700 in , all the ram will revert to the 256mb pc2700 speed thus making the ram slower

please explain a bit more

cdb 20:43 14 Aug 07

I put pc2700 in as said above.
I think the older ram is ps 2100.

cdb 20:44 14 Aug 07

PC 2100 even. (Oh for the want of an edit button.)

ram problems are so hard to diagnose,i added ram to my laptop and everything worked fine,100% except when i used bluetooth with the power cable,using battery alone no problems,it can be as subtle as that.
send the ram back and then scan at crucial uk

cdb 20:58 14 Aug 07

What do mean scan at crucial?

click here
check here,do the scan to ensure memory compatability

cdb 21:06 14 Aug 07

OK. Already done that. I thought you might have meant something else.

That's where I bought my RAM from. I scanned before I bought it and bought the slowest I could. lol.

remove the new ram and run with your original ram,if everything ok,you have eliminated the problem,contact crucial for advice/return/compatability problems

cdb 21:24 14 Aug 07

I've actually just done the opposite and removed the old ram and left the 2Gig of new ram in. Initially it seems to have cured it, but I'll give it a while to see if it re-occurs.

Cheers for now.

umbongo(uk) 22:12 14 Aug 07

when you did the crucial scan did it say your motherboard supports pc2700 and higher
or did it say it will work in your board but will be clocked down

pc2700=166fsb

if your gonna add the 256mb stick its best to manualy set the timings and not auto as this usualy conflicts

best do like you have use the pair of new and leave the other out

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac