Can u put dial-up connection in start up.

Aitchbee 11:26 12 Dec 10

Hi everybody this is my first visit to helproom.
I have a dial-up connection (with virginmedia).I also have onspeed which auto starts.How do i get my dial-up connection to auto start when I switch on my computer?

gengiscant 11:57 12 Dec 10

Try this:

1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
2. If you are using Category View, click Network and Internet Connections.
3. Click Network Connections, and then on the Advanced menu, click Dial-up Preferences.
4. Click the Autodial tab.
5. Click to the check boxes that are listed under Enable autodial by location.
6. Click to clear select the Always ask me before autodialing check box.
7. Click to clear select the Disable autodial while I am logged on check box.
8. Click OK, and then close the Network Connections dialog box.

gengiscant 11:58 12 Dec 10

Oh, my apologies. Welcome to one of the best forums round.

Aitchbee 14:09 12 Dec 10

Thanks for your quick response and nice welcome to my first post, but still no joy after trying your solution gengiscant.
I was prompted to go to mycomputer / manage then to services to start auto remote access but my dial-up connection will still not autostart.

gengiscant 14:24 12 Dec 10

Try this then:
1:
Click the Start button and go Control Panel > Network Connections and click the Advanced menu. Select Dial up preferences, check the check box to Enable autodial by Location.

2;
The autodial feature works only when the Remote Access Auto Connection Manager service is started. To start the Remote Access Auto Connection Manager service, right-click My Computer, and then click Manage. In the console tree, double-click Services and Applications, and then click Services. In the details pane, right-click Remote Access Auto Connection Manager, and then click Start. In the Status column, Started appears.

3:
Right click on your dial up ISP and choose make shortcut. That will place another shortcut icon on your desktop. Then put that shortcut in your startup folder. Your startup folder should be listed under programs under the start button.

Aitchbee 14:38 12 Dec 10

Now get connection prompt at start up - still have to hit return / ok . How can I stop this so that connection is made automatically.

Aitchbee 14:48 12 Dec 10

Sorry should have said now get connection prompt AFTER start up has finished - still have to hit keyboard for connection (still its progress ;-))

Aitchbee 15:18 12 Dec 10

Thanks everbody and especially Gengiscant.Problem is now solved. Went into connection properties / options / dialing options and unticked all the boxes. Now dial-up connection starts automatically when computer is switched on.I hope this may help other dial-up users.

compumac 15:28 12 Dec 10

As long as you remember that it is on dial up from when you bootup and that it is costing you subsequently. I had a friend who did that, (quite some time ago) and walked away from the PC and then remembered some good few hours later.

Aitchbee 15:45 12 Dec 10

Thanks Compumac, but I am on a fixed monthly dial-up charge of £15.00 with virginmedia so I can surf for about 55p-a-day (if you include my onspeed enhancement).You need a virgin phone land-line -which is about £12 a month-.So I know that I won't' run up a big internet bill.

Aitchbee 15:54 12 Dec 10

Just to add to Compumac's advice - if you've got a pay-as-you-surf dial-up service you would have to be careful you don't run up a big bill if you auto-start your dial-up connection.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced