Can u help me get my pc back the way it was plese

JEFoord 23:33 24 Jul 03

hi
I have been messing around with my pc trying a few things out and i have managed to delete word for windows! I know that i can restore it to how it was 48hrs ago by doing something during start up and then typing start reg? something like that anyway. I HaVE A PACKARD BELL CLUB 85, WINDOWS 98. CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP ME GET THINGS BACK TO NORMAL?
rEALLY WOULD APPRECIATE ANY HELP COS THE OTHER HALF WILL CHEW MY NUTS OFF IF I CANT GET IT BACK!
jOHN

User-312386 23:53 24 Jul 03

just re-install word from your discs

the start reg you are talking about is only a registry fix

go to start>shutdown and then re-start in ms-dos

when is dos type

scanreg/restore (for a previous registry setting)

or

scanreg/fix ( to fix the registry)

woodchip 23:58 24 Jul 03

As above you need to reinstall ether word or the software that put it there, Like MsOffice. Once you start deleting things you will cause havoc on the computer if you do not know what you are deleting.

Forum Editor 23:59 24 Jul 03

that what you've done is delete a Microsoft folder from the programs folder?

If it's your lucky day, and you have done this you should be able to restore things pretty quickly by looking in the recycle bin for the folder. Right-click on it and select 'restore'.

You may have used the Add/remove programs facility in Control panel of course, and if that is the case you won't be able to recover the situation by altering the registry, or by uasing any other tweaks - you'll need to reinstall the software using the original CD, as madboy33®© suggests.

User-312386 00:02 25 Jul 03

can you tell us exactly what you deleted please?

No shame in here because we all have done it

JEFoord 00:18 25 Jul 03

i deleted office to save some space on my hard drive forgetting word was part of it. i actually deleted it from windows explorer and emptied my recyle bin! problem i have is that the software was pre-installed on my pc and i didnt get any disks. can i buy a copy of just word or am i buggered?

Jean-Luc Picard 01:40 25 Jul 03

Depending what version of word you want. The latest will cost you about £30 but you wlll be able to pick up earlier versions on Ebay for £5 or so.

Peverelli 10:49 25 Jul 03

I used to have a Packard Bell Club series and it gave me the choice to use "Smart Restore" (I think that's what it was called). If Word came pre-installed it is likely to be on your rescue disk, as it was on mine.

Wak 12:01 25 Jul 03

Hi, before you do anything else, have you tried FastFileUndelete???
This is a small program which will show you all the deleted files on your hard drive and you may be able to retrieve them.
It all depends how much you have used the computer since you deleted the file as you could have over-written it already.
To save you downloading the undelete program and thus using up more of your hard drive, I'll send you a copy if you wish to let me have your e-mail address by clicking on the little envelope next to my name.

dfghjkl 21:13 25 Jul 03

i am sure you will find it on the net somewhere,or a friend,or you could pay for new one,your choice,i know what i would do

pj123 23:33 25 Jul 03

If you don't get "office" back from your restore disks I have a CD Supreme Office, supposedly compatible with Microsoft Office, so should read .doc files. Haven't tried it myself so I can't guarantee compatibility. If you want it email me your address and I will post it to you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…