Can these files be recovered?

s99Raj 11:49 02 Jun 04

On a Sony Viao laptop (running XP Home) a friend had several files and folders which he copied over to CD using the in-built writer. Several files/folders were copied over with no problem.
Then he tried to copy over several more onto a different CD in the same way. He said he'd followed the same procedure, but that this time the CD turned up blank and nothing was copied across.

Now the original files/folders on the hard drive of the laptop which he tried to copy over are corrupt. Many are Word files and many are JPEG files.

When I try to open up the original Word files on the hard drive they appear as small rectangular blocks or just letter Y's. I tried opening up a JPEG file in Photoshop Elements but it said "Could not open file such-and-such because a JPEG marker segment is too short (the file may be truncated or incomplete)."

I've tried repairing the Word files using DocRepair and also with EasyRecovery Professional but after the recovery process the files are blank/empty.

In the process of copying something must have happened so that the original files can now no longer be opened. Is there anything I can try to recover thhem all? All their "sizes" seem to be normal but they just can't be opened. I've tried copying them again onto a different CD and trying to open them on my PC but they still don't work.

Any suggestions please?

Newuser4165 12:12 02 Jun 04

The fact that doc and jpg files are affected leads me to believe that they are infected with a virus.
Have you tried running a virus checker?

s99Raj 12:16 02 Jun 04

I've scanned for viruses but all seems well.

s99Raj 13:08 02 Jun 04

any other suggestions please?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…