Can Spyware slow down a 1mb broadband

Hamish 20:55 03 Dec 04

Help Please. I have a desktop PC and also a laptop and over the past few days my web pages have been very slow to open also I tried to download a 5.65mb file and it took about 30 minutes giving download speed varying fron 3.6 to about 7 kbps. I have a2squared, norton antivirus, spyblaster, and adaware SE. I am on BTyahoo 1mb service and contacted them to be told than spyware would be slowing down the computers, both computers, and I find this rather strange and also have the same protectiion on both machines. It is both computers which are slow. Would spyware slow down both computers from a 1mb back to dialup speed , I have ran a speed test and it states there are problems with the UK server.
Can spyware slow down a 1mb service to dial up

stalion 21:05 03 Dec 04

very unlikely,run scans with a2 and spybot if all clear far more likely to be a server problem or the slowness of the site server you are downloading from

Hamish 21:10 03 Dec 04

stalion
Thanks. Could it be an exchange problem. It is affecting both my computers

JoeC 21:12 03 Dec 04
  ACOLYTE 21:14 03 Dec 04

No way i would say that any spyware would use enough bandwith to slow a 1mb conection to the speeds you say,would go with server probs,but if you have a real bad, like 1 million spyware apps connecting at the same time then it mayway slow it down lol.

Hamish 21:22 03 Dec 04

I did not have spybot and I am down loading it now and it is taking ages. Surely if it was just the server others would be complaining about the poor service. As both my computers are both slow it sounds more local. Thanks for your help

Hamish 21:30 03 Dec 04

Noelg23

Where are you tonight. I think you work for BT. Can you help. You have in the past

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…