Can someone tell me

eljanno 01:49 14 Oct 03

Hi Guy's
Just a quick one for you, Can someone tell me what happened?
I was looking at the contents of a cd program on my computer, I didnt open it, when all of a sudden I got a blue screen saying things like "if you have installed new hardware.....or if you have not seen this screen before restart your computer.....
When I eventually got back up and running, which took me three/four attemps of rebooting I had a message saying the system had recovered from a serious error, and then something about Memory Dumping.
Can anyone tell me what this was all about, I didnt install anything.
Cheers
Jan

eljanno 01:52 14 Oct 03

Sorry forgot to say I am running windows XP pro 256 ram

hugh-265156 02:40 14 Oct 03

usually drivers are to blame for this,sometimes its the last program or driver you installed is causing the problem.try using system restore(start/all programs/accessories/system tools/system restore)and restore to a date you know worked ok.or remove your last installed program via add remove programs untill you find the culpret.

update all your motherboard chipset and graphics card drivers from the manufacturers website to the latest versions.

update windows too click here

stlucia 08:48 14 Oct 03

How long have you been running Win XP? Has it only done this once? I'm sure huggy71 is correct in what he says, but if your PC is running okay again, I would be tempted to do nothing unless the problem recurs.

eljanno 09:13 14 Oct 03

I have been running XP for a while, everything is up to date, the motherboard has onboard graphic's ect. This is the first time it has happened, but I have not loaded anything at all nothing is new. Could it have been just a glitch and am I better to leave well alone? but what is memory dumping?
Thanks
Jan

DieSse 09:41 14 Oct 03

A memory dump is simply a record of the contents of the memory for use in trying to find out what happened. Nothing for you to use or be concerned about - the only people it would be useful to are Microsoft - if your system wanted to send them an error report, it would probably include the memory dump.

eljanno 12:20 14 Oct 03

Thanks
Jan

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…